Genesis 1000 or Genesis Silver B?

Genesis 1000 or Silver B

• Silver B

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

AlexHanWI

TVWBB Fan
I'm curious on what people prefer, Genesis 1000 or Genesis Silver B.

I currently have a Genesis 3000 as my main grill, and have a coupe of Genesis 1000 rehabs that I'm working on. I was planning one of the Genesis 1000 as a secondary one just in case / large family gatherings, etc.

A family friend was getting rid of their Silver B, and their Genesis 1000 (they traded up for a newer Weber), so now I have 3 x Genesis 1000 that need rehabbing, and 1 x Silver B.

So I'm debating which one I should keep as a secondary grill, another Genesis 1000 or Silver B.

• I tend to favor the Genesis 1000, just because of the deep cook box, I like it for the rotisserie, and I generally like the look (slats, flip table)
  • The Genesis 1000 came with a decent set up SS flavorizer bars, so that's one less I have to buy (Silver B will need a full replacement of everything, either for flipping or keeping)
  • I had a Silver A, and I did like how quickly that heated up (but traded that one away for bigger grill space)
  • I have a cast iron griddle I bought for the Genesis 1000, but I find that it takes long to heat up on the Genesis 1000. Would it heat faster on the Silver B since it's closer to the burners? (I think the firebox is the same size)
  • I already have a Genesis 1000, should I go for the the Silver B just because?

Any input/thoughts would be helpful.

Bottom line consistency is good. With a 1000 parts are interchangeable between grills no need to buy different parts (burners, manifolds, bars, etc). As for performance I think they're pretty much the same. I used to have both a Silver B and Genesis 3000 and honestly did not notice any much difference cooking on one or the other

This is something I've often wondered about. I've tried a cast iron griddle plate on the Genesis 1000 and it takes forever to heat up and you pretty much have to have the lid closed. I don't know if it would be any better with a Silver B. I gotta believe that proximity the burners and all that steel in the way with the 2 rows of bars has to decrease some of the responsiveness with the grill. I also have the heavy duty rcplanebuyer bars and grates, though. It takes about 15 to 20 minutes to preheat the Genesis 1000. I also don't notice much "grill flavor" with the Genesis 1000. Some might prefer the cleaner taste. I can't say if it's any better with a Silver B because I've not had both. There are a lot of advantages though to the Genesis 1000. I image the temps are more stable and even once you get the grill preheated. There's less flareups. There is a lot more room for a rotisserie. Any advantages to the Silver B I'm kind of just guessing at.

The cynic in me says they went to one row of bars and a more shallow firebox just to save money. However, it may be that 2 rows of bars are complete overkill.

I've had both a silver B and my Genesis 1000 I bought new in 1998 at the same time. My observations are the Silver B heats up a little faster but has a lot of hot and cold spots were the 1000 has much more even heating. Also the Silver B was a flare up machine compared to the 1000, had to watch it all the time.
I still have my Genesis 1000 now a 2000 and the Silver B is long gone.

Thanks everyone! I think I'm going to stay the course and go with the Genesis 1000 as my second grill. Thanks for your feedback, I just needed that little nudge.

Alex, I was going to recommend going with the Silver B as your second grill, but either way you will have a great pair of grills.
Any chance you might be considering attending the Midwest TVWBB Grill Meet in June?

I have had both also the 1000 went to my daughter I did a Silver C as I wanted the side burner which to be honest I rarely use. The Silver C to me heats up way faster than the 1000 did and runs hotter if thats what your looking for to me it puts a better sear on a steak. I have not had bad flareup problems but I am not doing 15 burgers or whatever. I never noticed any difference in the taste of my steaks or whatever I cooked on either. I built an 1100 for a friend of mine and he just loves it all grills had stainless rods from QuliMetal except for my daughters which had stamped stainless.

There is more grease that makes it's way to the grease catcher on the C so I clean it a little more frequently than the 1000 but not much. I don't do rotis so that is not a factor for me and my flavorizer bars are getting near the end so its way cheaper for a new set of those since you only need 5.

Really either one will do the job.

Alex, I was going to recommend going with the Silver B as your second grill, but either way you will have a great pair of grills.
Any chance you might be considering attending the Midwest TVWBB Grill Meet in June?

Already paid and in my Calendar. I'll see you there!

Good deal Alex. I have you on the list. I just didn't remember adding you. I like to see the representation from us Wisconsinites strong.

Silver B heats up faster and has more hot spots - shallower fire box and one level of flav bars vs. two. Mine starter working much better when I switched to GrillGrates -- basically like adding a second level of flav bars.

While not as cool, Silver B probably easier to keep going longer -- newer design and more available spare parts.

Back