Gen 1 vs Gen 2 - How can I tell?

DougM

Looking online at a ‘new‘ floor model EX6. Seller is only looking for $500 and has several of them available. HOWEVER, it looks to be a third party appliance recycler, not the original retailer. So I’m guessing that the seller made a great deal to take them off someone’s sales floor.

My questions: 1) How can I determine which generation Smokefire this is? What are the obvious things to look for? I’m guessing it’s probably a Gen 1 based on this ’deal’. If so, I will likely steer clear and run in the opposite direction ;)

2) Would I be able to register this with Weber for warranty?

3) If it is Gen 1, would Weber provide any upgrades/updates to resolve the known Gen 1 issues?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

I will let those who have a Gen 2 or who have upgraded from a 1 give you the firm answers. I will just say that I believe it is virtually certain that these are Gen 1. I have also heard that if you didn't buy it from Weber or a retailer BEFORE they recalled them that you will have to pay for any of the hardware upgrades. I would be wary!

I think the SmokeFire is an example of a grill you would be advised to purchase new. I am a gas grill restorer, but these are a very different animal, especially with the recall/upgrade situation. You want to have all the support you can get from Weber, so if it were me I would pay the difference and buy it from them so they can't wiggle out of helping you.

I will let those who have a Gen 2 or who have upgraded from a 1 give you the firm answers. I will just say that I believe it is virtually certain that these are Gen 1. I have also heard that if you didn't buy it from Weber or a retailer BEFORE they recalled them that you will have to pay for any of the hardware upgrades. I would be wary!

I think the SmokeFire is an example of a grill you would be advised to purchase new. I am a gas grill restorer, but these are a very different animal, especially with the recall/upgrade situation. You want to have all the support you can get from Weber, so if it were me I would pay the difference and buy it from them so they can't wiggle out of helping you.
Thanks, I also go by the old adage “If it sounds too good to be true....”

Does the listing include a pic that shows the label? If so, the Gen 2 part number is 23510201. Beyond that, I'm not smart enough to know how to distinguish the difference and I don't know the answers to your other questions. I purchased a Gen 2 in January. Unless something magically changes I'm returning it due to what I consider to be performance issues. Having said that, it's likely there are others whom have been very well-satisfied.

https://www.weber.com/AU/en/blog/news/smokefire-second-generation-difference/weber-2059356.html

Proceed with caution. You can't tell what gen it is unless you have the serial number or look down the pellet chute at the bottom of the pellet hopper. The upgrade/Gen 2 chute is black and the gen 1 is silver. A call to Weber support will get you answers to your questions about warranty coverage if you bought a Gen 1 from that guy. If it's a Gen 1 and Weber will not charge you for parts to upgrade then that's a good price. Good luck.

Does the listing include a pic that shows the label? If so, the Gen 2 part number is 23510201. Beyond that, I'm not smart enough to know how to distinguish the difference and I don't know the answers to your other questions. I purchased a Gen 2 in January. Unless something magically changes I'm returning it due to what I consider to be performance issues. Having said that, it's likely there are others whom have been very well-satisfied.

https://www.weber.com/AU/en/blog/news/smokefire-second-generation-difference/weber-2059356.html
Thank you. It is a Gen 1 since the model # is 23510001. I am going to pass on this deal.

Proceed with caution. You can't tell what gen it is unless you have the serial number or look down the pellet chute at the bottom of the pellet hopper. The upgrade/Gen 2 chute is black and the gen 1 is silver. A call to Weber support will get you answers to your questions about warranty coverage if you bought a Gen 1 from that guy. If it's a Gen 1 and Weber will not charge you for parts to upgrade then that's a good price. Good luck.
I have an e-mail into Weber asking these questions. Appreciate your response. But given some of the Gen 1 issues, such as reported grease fires, I’ll pass on this deal.

I have an e-mail into Weber asking these questions. Appreciate your response. But given some of the Gen 1 issues, such as reported grease fires, I’ll pass on this deal.
The only thing Weber did regarding grease fires between gen 1 and gen 2 is ask people not to be foolish when using the smoker. If you smoke a butt for 12 hours clean it before you sear a steak at 600.
you could easily replace the parts to go from gen 1 to gen 2, honestly only the black welded auger is important. You just need to make sure you can register the grill.
Good luck.

I do NOT recommend buying a SmokeFire if you can’t register it.

Doug, I had a thread regarding this just cut and pasted the info of my call with them. This was basically my conversation with the rep that does not mean another rep would say something different. But note in my conversation he told me someone else had scored a bunch of these then tried to get the upgrades:

So I just got off the phone with Weber really good rep just passing this on. In Atl there is one for sale in an outlet place for $400 EX4 it looks used hard to say but another listing new for $500 EX4 and from the picture I can tell they bought it from Lowes so no idea what they paid but I am going down to my local Lowes tomorrow or the next day to see if they still have the floor model there I suspect the person who listed it for $500 paid less or otherwise why buy it. Got to make something. Although my dream is a Weber Summit the old model might be intrigued if I can get an EX4 from Lowes for $400 if parts are missing just bring it back but I would have a receipt if the parts are all there I would be able to get the upgrades.

We discussed the fact that these were most likely first generation the rep knew about the note to dealers to return unused stock. I asked him about floor stock since my Lowes as stated by other members gen1 were still on the floor and he really did not know if those could have been returned but he did state if parts were missing that was not up to Weber to replace those parts and they would not so obviously you take the risk of buying a floor model and if its missing parts bring it back to Lowes or whoever.

Really interesting to me was he told me a story about someone who called bought a bunch of these guessing floor models for cheap missing some parts thinking Weber would replace those parts the answer was no. And no unless you register the grill and have a receipt they will not provide you with the upgrades they will allow you to register the grill and buy those upgrades which pretty much negates what you saved for the used grill. I think I said well I guess the welded chute would be at least 50 bucks he said more.

Back