Gas Grilled Salmon

Yah, they do cook quick. I was checking mine and all of a sudden I was getting internal middle temps in the 140's and 150's. But when I took a temp just under the top, it was in the 120's due to the fact I was not flipping the fish, just cooking it skin side down. You have to be real careful about where you are taking the temp and make sure the coolest part is up to the temp you are looking for.

Lots of good advice here! My friend in Florida made great Salmon on his Big Green Egg, but I never had the strong desire to try. I guess I am a land lubber and always fall back to my regular staples of beef, chicken and pork. Dumb on my part. Maybe all this good advice will help me expand my horizons!

Jon, I agree. I like to try other things every now and again. I had never cooked a brisket until a few years ago. I had never really grilled ribs, at least not the right way, until a few years ago. I had never grilled asparagus until a few years ago. I had never cooked a pizza on a grill until a couple years ago. I had never used a rotisserie until a few years ago. Everyone one of those things I have since done several more times and some fairly regularly. It beats the same old burger and steaks every night.

Atlantic skin on Salmon is the first thing I successfully grilled on any weber. It also one of the easiest in my opinion. Larry's recipe sound delicious, I might have to try it my self. Salmon with just salt and pepper a little oil is all you need. Cook skin side down on medlow heat till the fish turns opaque halfway through. The fish should release from the grates to flip. Finish on skin side until spatula slips easily between skin and flesh, leaving the skin on the grates. Fish should be flaky and cook through. This method work with individual pieces, not the whole fillet.

I do it on the whole fillets. I found a really cool 12" long stainless spatula at Menards and it reaches all the way to the full fillet.

I was thinking about doing the fillet whole, but I cut it into about 3" sections. I figured I would wind up making a mess of it trying to cut it up after grilling it. It worked great that way.

After suggesting the cedar plank method we are going with the crispy skin cook tonight. This has been approved by my 11 year old daughter who asks for grilled salmon almost as much as she asks for Chick-Fil-A.

So you get crispy skin on a cedar plank? I still cannot get my head around my salmon tasting like furniture LOL. I tried it but that was all I could think was I was eating my mom's old cedar chest

No, I didn't use the cedar plank, I cooked it the crispy skin method. It turned out great. We will now be alternating between these two recipes. Larry, you really need to try the cedar plank again. The way I do it you just get the faintest taste of smoke. Not sure the method you used but it should not taste too smoky.

I didn't know there was a "method" I figured you soaked the cedar plank for a couple hours in water, slapped the fish on the plank season as you like stick it on the grill and cook. I tried it a couple times but meh. Just not my thing

Yah, never done it before but I thought the process was basically what Larry describes. I was thinking about trying it on that salmon I did, but since it was pretty much a first to grill salmon, I just wanted to keep it simple. I may give it a shot at some point in the future though.

I will give it an A+ for simplicity. Doing it on cedar plank is WAY easier than on the grates. And if I enjoyed eating it then it would be my "go to" method

Actually the cedar plank is simpler. You have your grilling surface and serving platter all in one LOL

I tried cedar planks once, didn't think it added much to the flavor not to mention it caught fire though sprayed it before it got to the fish.

I just grill them skin side down on a fish pan on hot after letting marinate on counter for 30 minutes until room temp.

No fancy marinade, just some olive oil, lime juice, and whatever spices you want to sprinkle on.

So you get crispy skin on a cedar plank? I still cannot get my head around my salmon tasting like furniture LOL. I tried it but that was all I could think was I was eating my mom's old cedar chest
Just wondering, have you tried different planks? I've also used apple and a couple others. Apple didn't taste like furniture.

I did gas grilled salmon last night. Wild sockeye salmon fillet brushed with some melted butter/olive oil, garlic salt and black pepper.

Dome thermometer was at 425F, meat side down for 4 minutes to get a sear, flipped to skin side down to finish.

Sorry - no pics, but it came it really good.

Just tossing in another way.

Yeah you can get away with going flesh side down with sockeye because it's firmer and leaner. But, 4 min?! and then even more on the other side? It wasn't over cooked? I usually avoid sockeye because it'll go from cooked to over in 10 seconds flat. I usually go with King (Atlantic) type either wild or organically farmed. Much more forgiving
Answer to different wood question. No, never tried because I would not begin to know where to even find it

Back