Gas grill question / advice

BaileyKD

TVWBB Member
Greetings fellow Weber fans. I am in the market for a new gas grill, and I have narrowed my search down to 2. I am looking at the Spirit E-310, and the Spirit E-320. The only difference is the 320 has a side burner and costs $50 more. My question is, how many of you use the side burner, what do you use it for, and is it worth $50 more? Thanks for the input.

I don't use my side burner all that much , but when you need it it's nice to have. My only caveat would be: make sure that when the lid is down that it's a flat surface...that way you don't lose side table space...know what I mean? Some of them are a waste of a side table cuz the lid is a big bump.

My Weber gas grill doesn't see too much action anymore but I use the side burner even when grilling on my kettle. It's well worth having in my opinion.

If you brush sauce on your meal while cooking than the side burner will keep your sauce hot. I also use the side burner to light my weber chimney fast and easy. It's $50 well spent.

If you think you will use it, then get it with the side burner. When I used to have a gas grill, I used mine for beans, cooking down my homemade BBQ sauce. Alos used to do mushrooms and onions for steaks

Never used it. All the sides as described get done on the inside stove by my "assistant"--more room, all the spices are already there, utensils are handy, etc. More than one little pot/skillet is more of a pain than anything else.

I do not own a Weber Gasser, but I do have a Gasser with a side burner. That's pretty much the only thing that I use on it.

I start the side burner and put my chimney of charcoal over it to start them. Works great and clean. I also use it a ton, especially in the summer months to make my sauces while tending to the kettle or bullet.

IMHO, I'd spend the money for it...

Besides, when we lost power one night, I used it to boil water so my little guy could have spaghetti!

CM

It's nice to use when you don't want to stink up the house, like a Balsamic vinegar reduction, toasting dried peppers or boiling down fresh peppers for hot sauce.
I'm sure there's a few more..

Tim

Yes I do use it, even when using the OPT or WSM to light my chimney. Secondly, if I am frying something I use it, especially something like fish which tends to smell up the house. I also do fries on it when doing those. Char some pepper some time and you will see why to do them outdoors, though one could do them over the flame. I find it well worth the bucks, secondly, I would look at a Genesis over the Spirit for extra capacity, heat, etc. etc.......I know that it is more money, but spread out over many years you will not know the difference......................d

Thank you all for your input. Sadly, my quest has been put on hold. I have about $600 worth of work to do to my truck. Ball-joints, bearing, etc. etc.

These replies are noted, and the input is filed away hopefully until my income tax return comes in.

As others have said, it's nice to have it when you need/want it.

Also, keep an eye on Craigslist. Especially in the spring. I've picked up a number of gassers (for free) that way.
Typically, they need very little work to get back up and running.

Agree with most. Nice to have when I need it. Unfortunately I don't use it as much as I should/could. But good to know its there.

I had an ECB with a side burner. I think I used it two or three times in the two years I had it. My Genesis doesn't have one and I don't miss it.
But like others have said,if you think you'll use it,go ahead and spend the money.

Since I started using charcoal I actually sold my big Napoleon gasser and instead bought a smaller Q320 for quick dogs/burgs etc....or if DW wants to cook while I'm not home.

Having said that......If I only had a gasser I'd get the side burner for sure for only $50 more. Sautéed mushrooms/onions, beans for the side, eggs while bacon/steak on the grill. Plus, likely a nice feature for resale. I say get the 320 - when the funds become available.

Thanks for reminding me, my truck needs front end work too :(.

Last edited:
wife had a side burner on her weber spirit, but we didn't get one on our new genesis just because its easier to do the sides in the kitchen instead of transferring everything out to the grill. that's just us though. I could see it for sop sauces but I don't use sops on gas anyway.

if you think youll use it, or if it seems like it might add a dimension to your cooks or just plain fun, then get it - its only $50 but will last the lifetime of the pit.

don't lift the lid...

Back