Gap on Weber kettle

D Fillman

Hey guys
Don’t know if you can see it clearly enough, but here is the gap that I was telling you about between the bowl and cooking grate on the Weber kettle I returned. This doesn’t seem right, but I went to another store and saw the same thing on another new kettle. It seems this is the way there all made now. Non of my old kettles were ever this loose.
Anyone else run into this??

Attachments

• 52532721-C15E-48DA-B0EA-810862E9CA53.png
    52532721-C15E-48DA-B0EA-810862E9CA53.png
    822.1 KB · Views: 81
Ones metric and the other is “English system”🤔. I don’t cook that near the edge but, if it bugs you call Weber, you might get an extra grate out of the call?

See your point. Hard to tell but something is a bit off. Hope this is a temporary mess and all is better.
Thank you for the picture. Read the other posts too.

Yeah, none of mine do that. I checked with a couple of extra grates, both hinged and non-hinged.

Darren gave good advice....check the specs.

Good advice: I didn’t think to measure the bowl, but I can tell you that it’s definietly not the grate. I put the new grate in my old weber and it was tight. I then put my old grate in the new weber and it had the same huge gap, which seems to indicate they are making the cooking chambers slightly larger - but why, I don’t know.
Sorry for getting so OCD on this. You guys are great, and I appreciate your help and patience. I’ll stop. But if any of you run into this, please let me know.

hard to see in the pic, I bought my kettle in 2020 I think and it does not have a big gap...the cooking grate runs right up to the edge of grill...might check out of round condition

Attachments

• grill.jpg
    grill.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 18
I have contacted weber, sent the picture and the 2 responses I have gotten both deny that there are gaps that big, despite the pictures.
I measured my 2015 Weber cooking grate diameter at 21.5 and the inside bowl diameter at approx. 21.75-it’s tight.
I think you guys are right: I‘ll go to the ace hardware and measure the inside bowl diameter of the new one. I know the grate diameter is the same as my old one, cause the new grate fit tight in my old 2015. The new Weber’s have bigger bowl sizes -I swear I’m not imagining this!

Ones metric and the other is “English system”🤔. I don’t cook that near the edge but, if it bugs you call Weber, you might get an extra grate out of the call?
I wouldn't think that's the case T. The 22s are named 57s for the non-US market.
I'm a bit intrigued about this. I'm assuming the lid fits the bowl ok?
As DF mentions, the grate fits his old kettle just fine. Which I find odd, as you would think the fixed press former for the bowl and lid would be used for thousands of pressings.
Which begs the question: Can the former in the press be adjusted to press out either 22s or 18s, and the machine operator mistakenly set it to press out a line of 23.5s?
A rogue pressing is my guess.

The only other variable would be the distance of the grate supports from the edge of the bowl.
With the curve of the bowl the lower the grate the tighter it will be as the bowl curves in.
There isn't much of a radius at the top of the bowl so I think it would need to be a significantly lower in the old bowl to make it a tighter fit.
The support lugs on my MT are two and a half inches below the rim of the bowl.

^^^^
Maybe the top grate supports were welded higher up on the bowl. Good shout Gaz! (y)
However, I've seen vids on how the kettles are made. It's all automated. A human places metal in the correct place and the machine does the rest.

"Man is the slave. Machines are free!" ;)

We’ll, I stand corrected…I exaggerated. Hope you guys don’t pound me…
I went to ace hardware and measured the one I returned. Thr grate was 21.5 and the inside bowl diameter was about 22.125 which is only a little over a half inch play per side. It seemed like so much more because my old one only has a little over a 1/16. Should have measured first before I posted. My fault completely

I’m sorry for the exaggeration; I spoke to soon, though I still think it’s a lot of play comparatively. You guys have all been so great to try to help and I appreciate all your input and advice. I’ll be more careful in any future post. My apologies, Dave

Cool.
Should be tighter. 5/8" is a bit pushing it. Course a little shim on the outside solves both problems. Tightens grate, and leaves an option to easily remove grate in any event/contigency

Back