Game Hens

Barret

TVWBB Pro
Not much to report here, other than the last photo, which me thinks is the best. Very simple recipe: brined the game hens in a simple salt and molasses brine, then stuffed them with aromatics (onion, garlic, celery) and stuffed herbed butter under the skin. Smoke-roasted with pecan wood along with a few grilled chicken breasts for the members of the family who don't like eating chicken off the bone, then devoured.

20190330_181402.jpg20190330_185323.jpg20190330_185409.jpgCheers!
Barret

Good lookin' birdies, Barret! Thanks for your recipe you threw out in my chicken thread. I'll take a look at that one for my next chicken.

R

Brad - these were 16 - 18 oz. birds, which I found at a new Euro grocery store in town. Most of the ones at the regular grocery store are 22 - 24 oz., and I'm glad I found the smaller ones. They were each $7, a bit more than the smallest I can find elsewhere, which are 22 oz. organic birds for $5.

Brad - these were 16 - 18 oz. birds, which I found at a new Euro grocery store in town. Most of the ones at the regular grocery store are 22 - 24 oz., and I'm glad I found the smaller ones. They were each $7, a bit more than the smallest I can find elsewhere, which are 22 oz. organic birds for $5.
That's a nice size for a single-serving chicken!(y) We served 22 oz. birds for Thanksgiving last year and found that they were a little too much for just 1 person.

Looks good. Tough to beat a nicely roasted chicken.

What did you use to truss the legs? It looks like rubber bands.

Chris - thanks! I used food grade silicone bands for the trussing, which I received as a gift a number of years ago. They work great for indirect heat as long as they're removed before folks dig in!

Back