Funny/Tragic Story

We had a small party and I smoked a pork butt. My parents were there and I asked my father if he wanted to pull it and I gave him the bear claws. I came back a few minutes later and he was throwing out all the bark! He said "oh that looked burnt."
Ouch!
Just the opposite of my dad. He believed BBQ meant the same color all the way through. I can still hear mom yelling for someone to get him the hell away from the grill :)

Yikes. It is interesting to ponder what we learned and now take for granted in our barbeque/smoking/grilling adventure. I can reflect back on some of my own dandy missteps from when I started in December 2016 (and I'm plenty old enough that I could have started decades sooner).

Reminds me of the first time I smoked a turkey.
MIL swore it was still raw because she saw pink.
I told her, "Catherine, that's the smoke ring and it's been fully cooked"
She said " Nope, I won't eat it" So I nuked it for a bit to make her happy.

I’m afraid this might happen to me next week.

Happy wife happy life 🤣

Nuking the MIL would have been the other less civil option 🤣 I got a lecture Tuesday night from my MIL on why "thou shalt" use only russets for mashed potatoes on Thanksgiving. I said "absolutely, no problem!" (because compliance is just the easy way out). I will have Russets.... way easier than having "the discussion" Besides, I already informed MIL that we will be enjoying a frozen Supermarket bird rather than a humanely raised free range vegan hippy bird, so I've won the big battle ;)

To any/all Mother In Laws (MIL) who read/participate in the forum; by virtue of reading/participating in this forum, you are way cooler than the average MIL. If you have been offended by any of these MIL comments, please accept our apologies and know they only apply to non-forum MILs.
Great Point John !!!! I totally agree .....

To any/all Mother In Laws (MIL) who read/participate in the forum; by virtue of reading/participating in this forum, you are way cooler than the average MIL. If you have been offended by any of these MIL comments, please accept our apologies and know they only apply to non-forum MILs.
I always tell people that my MIL was a lot easier to get along with than my wife's MIL.

(They usually blink a couple of times before they get it...)

Nuking the MIL would have been the other less civil option 🤣 I got a lecture Tuesday night from my MIL on why "thou shalt" use only russets for mashed potatoes on Thanksgiving. I said "absolutely, no problem!" (because compliance is just the easy way out). I will have Russets.... way easier than having "the discussion" Besides, I already informed MIL that we will be enjoying a frozen Supermarket bird rather than a humanely raised free range vegan hippy bird, so I've won the big battle ;)
I would pick up a package of one of these, empty it out and leave it on the counter while your MIL is snooping around the kitchen. These aren't russets either.
potato.JPG

YES - I may have to do that! MIL would loose her mind! My wife is reading this with me and having a good laugh now :) 🤣

YES - I may have to do that! MIL would loose her mind! My wife is reading this with me and having a good laugh now :) 🤣
A friend of mine actually did this the first year he met his prim and proper MIL. He told here that he would bring mashed potatoes to Thanksgiving dinner. He used real potatoes (not sure if they were Russets), but he said that her reaction to the fake potato package was priceless.

We had a small party and I smoked a pork butt. My parents were there and I asked my father if he wanted to pull it and I gave him the bear claws. I came back a few minutes later and he was throwing out all the bark! He said "oh that looked burnt."
Gil, look at it this way, your father must really love you.

Yikes. It is interesting to ponder what we learned and now take for granted in our barbeque/smoking/grilling adventure. I can reflect back on some of my own dandy missteps from when I started in December 2016 (and I'm plenty old enough that I could have started decades sooner).
Yes, that’s a good point, we take for granted the things we have learned from our mistakes. That was another mistake/miscommunication to learn from. That’s one reason I rarely ask anyone but a very few to help when doing a big feed.
now, I need to start thinking about Christmas feasting!!

That particular brand of fake potatoes is actually pretty darned good.
I have to agree. I should probably be ashamed of how many packages of that brand of instant mashed I've made over the last five years. I was thrilled when for a short time Costco carried boxes of ten envelopes at about $0.80/envelope. I've still got two boxes in the pantry. They're a bit like Keurig coffee in that they aren't quite as good as the authentic version, but not so much worse that the convenience doesn't more than make up for it. 85% of the quality at less than 50% the effort.

Back