Fuel to use in the WSM 14.5" for highest temps?

DHart

I read that the WSM 14.5 produces a temp of about 190º. Would that statement be associated with using briquettes? If one were to use lump charcoal, how much difference in temp might that make? Can the WSM 14.5 achieve 225º?

Not sure where you got this 190*F temp from. Normal barbecuing temperature in any size WSM is 225-300*F using briquettes or lump charcoal. Easy peasy.

I read that the WSM 14.5 produces a temp of about 190º. Would that statement be associated with using briquettes? If one were to use lump charcoal, how much difference in temp might that make? Can the WSM 14.5 achieve 225º?
I was able to get my 14.5 to 350 using lump charcoal and a billows fan, this is while cooking two big spatchcock chickens over 5 lbs each. It was well over 375 when I put the chicken in, but all that cold meat cooked it off. Most of the cook was 325-340.

Thanks, good to know the WSM 14.5 can go to higher temps! I just received my WSM and will begin the getting to know stages SOON!

The automated bellows fan set-up sounds interesting. I may give that a try some day down the road.

My first smoke today was a duck. Was able to take the WSM 14.5 to 360º with lump charcoal. Most of the cook was around 320º-325º at the cooking grate (Therm Pro probe) and at about 305º at the Weber dome thermometer. I expected the top of the dome to be warmer than the cooking grate but the opposite was true.

Congratulations on your cook !
As far as expecting a higher temperature at the dome, one must consider where the heat source is and that everything after that will be less hot.

Added: the above is true when using an emtpy water pan.

Last edited:
My first smoke today was a duck. Was able to take the WSM 14.5 to 360º with lump charcoal. Most of the cook was around 320º-325º at the cooking grate (Therm Pro probe) and at about 305º at the Weber dome thermometer. I expected the top of the dome to be warmer than the cooking grate but the opposite was true.
Sounds like a successful cook, lump is definitely the way to go if you want higher temps or long cooks. It has about double the energy per pound as KBB

I cooked a hot and fast chicken Sunday in my 14. Removed the water pan completely. Started a full chimney of briquettes. Put a few chunks of unlit lump on top to fill the ring and added 3 wood chunks. Let it burn with vents wide open for 30 minutes before adding the chicken.

I was holding above 400 at the dome w/ a large chicken on the top rack during the whole cook. Chatted with my neighbor instead of listening for my temp alarm at the end. Overcooked my chicken - but it was brined and we chopped it for tacos anyway...

Almost made me wonder if I had a bigger ring and could use 2 full chimneys of lit, how hot could it get?

I cooked a hot and fast chicken Sunday in my 14. Removed the water pan completely. Started a full chimney of briquettes. Put a few chunks of unlit lump on top to fill the ring and added 3 wood chunks. Let it burn with vents wide open for 30 minutes before adding the chicken.

I was holding above 400 at the dome w/ a large chicken on the top rack during the whole cook. Chatted with my neighbor instead of listening for my temp alarm at the end. Overcooked my chicken - but it was brined and we chopped it for tacos anyway...

Almost made me wonder if I had a bigger ring and could use 2 full chimneys of lit, how

Almost made me wonder if I had a bigger ring and could use 2 full chimneys of lit, how hot could it get?
It would reach liftoff. Nice recipe, will be following.

Back