Fruita Wood... worth it?

Howard Warren

TVWBB Fan
Since I've been stuck at home (my job lets me work from home) I've been looking at ways to up my BBQ game a notch. An acquaintance who used to compete in KCBS used to rave about Fruita Wood chunks. My normal fuel load is Kingsford Blue and 2-3 Western apple chunks (I used to use Western Peach but it's discontinued.)

I never tried Fruita Wood myself due to the cost, but now, stuck at home, I'm wondering if they're worth it. Anybody use them? And given Fruita Wood is a high moisture wood, how long do they last without spoilage?

Thanks!

Okay, for some reason the search function didn't work a few minutes ago, but now I've found the wood thread. So let me change this one a bit, please.

If you use Fruita Wood, how do you store it? How long does it take to burn through a box?

Because I have a stick burner, I go through a larger volume of wood than if I were just burning chunks. So I get my pecan and hickory from a local wood lot.

I've never used fruita wood, but If I were using a small volume of chunks, I would greatly consider it.

Howard, I've been using Fruita Wood for a while now. Very quality stuff, dry, but not too dry. I just store it in the box that it comes in. They stamp the interior of the cardboard, so you know which species is in which divided space (assuming you get an assortment.) I typically get Hickory, Cherry and Apple. How fast one goes through it is entirely dependent on how often you are firing up your smoker.

I usually get a bit of a wry smile every time I order, because it reminds me how many fruit orchards there were here when I was growing up......all gone now.

R

I also use Fruita wood and store it the same way Rich does. In the box in my garage. Its quality stuff. I'm hooked on the peach wood for my pork. I usually order a "pick 3" and it lasts me a few months depending on my schedule. I've gotten peach, apple, cherry, post oak and pecan from them and have been happy with them all. I felt like when I got chunks locally from the hardware store I also got a bunch of smaller pieces in the bag that were worthless to me. These chunks are all good size and I'll continue to use Fruita.

Have used Fruita for a number of years. I keep mine in the original box. Your wood usage will all depend upon your smoker usage. I normally use 3-4 chunks per cook, when the wood is new.
Besides chunks, they also carry splits. With their wood being fresh and full of flavor. Using splits could be overkill...

I've been buying peach chunks from Fruita for several years now. I'm using their post oak chunks as I type this for a brisket :)
Excellent product and prompt service.
I just keep it in its original shipping box in my unheated storage room.

Here's an excerpt from my first Fruita experience in February 2018. I've used Fruita exclusively since then. If I were in your shoes I'd definitely try it!

1585586168493.png

Thank you everybody, I'm ordering a box right now!

As far as storage, I live in very humid, hot Arkansas, so I'll find a place inside the house to store the box.

I have used Fruita Wood since I started smoking, bout 10 years ago. So far NO problems good chunks and good service.. I store the wood in box it came in my garage.. I always order the 30 lb box with 3 different woods.. I'm going to try the peach wood this time for all my pork.
Dan

My test box (15 lbs of peach) arrived today. There are a couple of smaller-ish chunks just the right size to use in my OTG for grilling veggies and steaks. Sounds like tomorrow will be experiment day!

A follow-up. Yesterday I grilled New York strips for the girlfriend and me. I used 1 3x2 (ish) piece of Fruita Wood peach, with KBB piled around it. The results were certainly a success!

Compared to the Western chunks I had been using, the best words I can use to describe the Fruita Wood taste would be "mellow" and "smooth". Previously using Western, there was always a slight acrid taste to the smoke, even Western apple wood. But the Fruita Wood had no acrid taste, no sharpness to it.

I'll give away the Western wood I still have in stock (hickory, apple, oak) and from now on I'll use Fruita Wood!

Back