Fruit wood vs Oak for Brisket

Matt H.

TVWBB Super Fan
This weekend i'm smoking an 11 pound prime brisket at 225 which I figure will take 12-14 hours. I generally do not foil. Normally i'd use 4 fist sized chunks of apple or cherry, but going texas style I bought some oak chunks. I've read oak has a stronger smoke flavor and was wondering if I should lower that to 3 chunks? This is a nice piece of beef, so obviously I don't want to screw it up. I've also heard some people pull prime beef sooner than choice. Any thoughts?

I think you'll be fine with 4 chunks. I've only cooked choice and prime and those seem about the same as far as cook time. I'd still go with the probe test. That last one I cooked was prime and I wound up pulling it off at 197 internal it might have gone longer but it was pretty wubba-y.

I think you'll be fine with 4 chunks. I've only cooked choice and prime and those seem about the same as far as cook time. I'd still go with the probe test. That last one I cooked was prime and I wound up pulling it off at 197 internal it might have gone longer but it was pretty wubba-y.

Thanks dustin.

I typically use hickory for brisket, which I'm thinking is similar to oak. I can't see where four will be any issue. I usually start with four, then I add two more when they are gone. Beef can take a lot of smoke.

I was just at my brother's house and stole some white oak. He has enough smoking woods to last for years for his Lang. I'm planning on doing a brisket myself with a good all natural charcoal soon.

I typically use hickory for brisket, which I'm thinking is similar to oak. I can't see where four will be any issue. I usually start with four, then I add two more when they are gone. Beef can take a lot of smoke.

Thanks guys. The more I thought about it the more I came to your conclusion. I've used hickory too, but my wife tends to not like things too smokey. Just my anal nature at work I guess! I'm sure it will be as usual

Last edited:
Hey Matt, where did you pick up that prime brisket? TIA

Jim's fallbrook market Bob. I got the last one they had, but they tell me they usually have 2 in stock. Call ahead. Meat looks first rate. I'll let you guys know how it turns out. $59 for 11 pounds. Not cheap, but not outrageous either.

You may like that prime brisket. Once I cooked Prime, I never went back. Texas style would be post oak or live oak. Hickory does a nice job with beef, though. We are blessed here in Central Texas. Our local H.E.B.usually stocks a dozen or so Prime briskets at under $4. It's hard to resist the temptation to cook it every day.

My last few have been done before they reached 200. A good 2 to 3 hour rest really helps the tenderness and moisture. Doing ribs tomorrow, but now you've got me thinking brisket for next week.

Jim's fallbrook market Bob. I got the last one they had, but they tell me they usually have 2 in stock. Call ahead. Meat looks first rate. I'll let you guys know how it turns out. $59 for 11 pounds. Not cheap, but not outrageous either.

I had a feeling you would say it was from Jim's. That's where we get our hams for Christmas and Easter. I have been shopping there off and on since I was a kid. That was back in the mid 50's. They are expensive but they know there stuff. The hams we get there are the best. IMHO there Boarshead hams are far better than just about anything on the market. Have you ever tried their BBQ sandwich's on the weekends, they are very good.

There prices are high, but their quality is always the best. That's were I go for special occasion cooks. And their butchers are quite knowledgeable. Enjoy that brisket.

Back