Fried Chicken Thighs

Gorgeous looking chicken. I will have to give it a try. At what temperature did you let the grease come up to before placing the chicken in the CIS. Thanks for sharing.

John I so agree with Ya...frying chicken or whatever else is the way to do it!! Good looking chicken buddy!!

Would you mind sharing some details? This looks amazing!

I am specifically wondering about the type of oil, temp, and breading.

Thanks!!

I used Louisiana Chicken Fry batter mix on this cook and just followed the directions on the back of the package. I have used Andy's and have made my own using flour with success too. Panko works great but I have only tried using that on boneless chicken.
I use canola oil and I don't know what temp the oil is but its hot, my guess 350-400*F.
I set up my grill indirect, place the CI pan over the coals, once the oil is hot I set the chicken skin side down and let it fry until it gets to the color I want which usually takes around 4-5 minutes, depending on your oil temp, and then flip the chicken over. Once that sides color looks good I take the chicken out of the pan and place them indirect to finish cooking. If the oil is smoking because its getting too hot I just move the pan more towards the indirect side. I do use the lid when I'm waiting and have a fire extinguisher handy, coals and hot oil ya got to respect them especially when using them together!!! Any more questions ask, I'll try and answer them.

John, the chicken skin on those thighs must have been mind-blowingly good. Nice photos of an awesome cook.

I used Louisiana Chicken Fry batter mix on this cook and just followed the directions on the back of the package. I have used Andy's and have made my own using flour with success too. Panko works great but I have only tried using that on boneless chicken.
I use canola oil and I don't know what temp the oil is but its hot, my guess 350-400*F.
I set up my grill indirect, place the CI pan over the coals, once the oil is hot I set the chicken skin side down and let it fry until it gets to the color I want which usually takes around 4-5 minutes, depending on your oil temp, and then flip the chicken over. Once that sides color looks good I take the chicken out of the pan and place them indirect to finish cooking. If the oil is smoking because its getting too hot I just move the pan more towards the indirect side. I do use the lid when I'm waiting and have a fire extinguisher handy, coals and hot oil ya got to respect them especially when using them together!!! Any more questions ask, I'll try and answer them.

Thank you very much for this info. It's on the to-do list, near the top, lol.

Back