Friday Pizza Night

AlWielgosz

TVWBB Super Fan
Still dialing in my 18 OTS PizzaKettle. The fire bricks worked ok, the lower lid height on the 18 really keeps the heat where it's needed. Now the top is cooking faster than the bottom. Going to try a 3/4 inch stone and I think that will perfect it.....
IMG_06061.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_06111.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_06101.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Al, that 'za looks GGGREAT!!!
how long does it cook?

Jim, not long 5 or 6 minutes a pizza, I sit in front of the grill and turn the pan every 30 seconds or so.
I think it's guna be a killer for partys. Lay out the fixin's and let them make their own pizza. I had two size trays 12in & 14in both cook about the same time.
Here's a Hawaiian fresh pineapple from Maui, ham and cheese.
IMG_06121.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

My kettle will be here tuesday I got the stone with it does it not work well right out of the box?

Al, I think I am sold. I have a bunch of questions. Is the photo above with the 3/4" stone? Did you buy the stones separate? What was your temp? I think I want one! Do they make for the 22.5?

Is it a question of thinner rocks or not letting the rocks come up to temp?
Paul the rocks were pretty hot but because of the height of them it is a tight fit with a loaded pie to fit it in the opening. That and the much better heat zone from the 18 lower lid make the top cook a bit faster than the bottom. I think the 3/4" stone will be just right.....

Al, I think I am sold. I have a bunch of questions. Is the photo above with the 3/4" stone? Did you buy the stones separate? What was your temp? I think I want one! Do they make for the 22.5?
Heh Chris you hungry? lol.......... that photo is with "Fire Brick" they call them splits they are half the size of a full brick. They are about 1 inch thick and I bought them from a concrete supplier for $1.89 ea. I then traced the curve of my 18 inch grate and cut them with a concrete cutting disk with a hand grinder.
IMG_05831.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
The ring will fit both the 18 & the 22 you start with charcoal but you have to use hardwood to get the temp in the range to make pizza once you add wood it will hit 700* plus very easy. Go to their website and check out his low budget video..... that is what sold me the guy is a simple man trying to make a buck. I did not like have to remove the unit to reload the wood so I found a good used 18 ots on craigs list and did the mods.
Just added a table to it today.
It's a lot of fun also, I'm perfecting it before I have my next big party I'm sure it will be a big hit!
If you have any other questions PM me and I'll give you my phone number and walk you thru it.

As a jersey pizza snob, I am not easily impressed. (I keep my mouth shut a lot when it comes to pizza posts). BUT... THOSE are terrific looking pizzas! I would have no problem paying for either.
Nice work!

Back