Friday after Christmas Rib Roast

CaseT

TVWBB Platinum Member
For Christmas dinner we were at the in laws for dinner. My mother in law made a wonderful seafood paella. It was loaded with prawns, scallops, clams, and chicken thighs. So we didn't need to cook anything for Christmas. I did take advantage of the sales going on for Rib roasts. Safeway had them on sale for $4.99/pound (limit 1) or $5.99/pound all you wanted. So I got one super cheap and another to put in the freezer. Christmas eve I started marinating the roast. I got out one of the big 2 gallon vac pac bags and put the roast in it with Dale's. Sucked er down and into the fridge.

49299412026_a7b0cbe127_c.jpg

Friday afternoon I fired up the 14.5" WSM with KBB and Cherry wood for smoke. Lit the briquettes with the propane torch. Set the PartyQ to 285°. Took it about 35 minutes to ramp up to temp. While that was going on I seasoned the roast with POG (left out the salt as the marinade has enough sodium in it.

49299412046_06f3e52ae6_c.jpg

49299618582_cfc1002a07_c.jpg

Picked up the Inkbird instant read therm. Not that I need one but I like the idea of a rechargeable unit. Works fine and seems to be accurate.

The roast took about 2.5-3 hours (wasn't really paying attention!) Pulled it at 130° and let it rest 30 minutes prior to slicing. Didn't get a plated shot but it was tasty! Served with roasted veggies and Extra Hot Beaver Horseradish.

49299608877_1cd0b246e3_c.jpg

49298912503_5f03ccdd1a_c.jpg

49298910663_d253676572_c.jpg

Wife made a stunning toasted hazelnut crust cranberry tart for desert. It was yummy!

49299390041_85c067a878_c.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good Case, that hazelnut crust cranberry tart looks mighty fine.
Barb works part time at Safeway and they had whole in the bag rib roasts for $3.97 and with her discount 3.47 a pound. Got a good sized one, got a two bone roast and eight 1 3/4" steaks out of it.

Terrific looking cook Case. First of all, you're mother in law's seafood paella sounds delicious. The rib roast stands alone. Great looking cook. What vac sealer do you use? I like those 2 gallon bags. I'm having trouble finding horse radish that's hot enough for my taste. Found some that's made locally here and it was OK.

Terrific looking cook Case. First of all, you're mother in law's seafood paella sounds delicious. The rib roast stands alone. Great looking cook. What vac sealer do you use? I like those 2 gallon bags. I'm having trouble finding horse radish that's hot enough for my taste. Found some that's made locally here and it was OK.

Cliff thanks you! The paella was really good and I had way more than I should've!

I have the VacMaster Pro380. Allows up to 15" of sealing. I purchase all of my bags from Vac Sealers Unlimited. Lisa is really nice and shipping is always very prompt. I purchase the ultra line of bags that she has. I don't use the big bags often but they are perfect for curing large cuts of meat.

I've always been fond of Beaver Brand, or Tule Lake. The extra hot Beaver brand really clears out the sinuses. When I lived at the coast we had a stream on our property that had horseradish in it. That fresh grated would knock your socks off! It was so good.

Looks good Case, that hazelnut crust cranberry tart looks mighty fine.
Barb works part time at Safeway and they had whole in the bag rib roasts for $3.97 and with her discount 3.47 a pound. Got a good sized one, got a two bone roast and eight 1 3/4" steaks out of it.

Thanks Rich! If the meat cutter had been in (i shop way early in the morning) I would have got an uncut one for the lower price. Buying whole and cutting it yourself is the best way to go hands down price wise.

Thanks Rich! If the meat cutter had been in (i shop way early in the morning) I would have got an uncut one for the lower price. Buying whole and cutting it yourself is the best way to go hands down price wise.

At Barbs store they cut the whole rib roast any way you want for free. Weird that your Safeway is different. The Safeway here it's $3.97 whole or cut to your order but you have to buy the whole roast.

At Barbs store they cut the whole rib roast any way you want for free. Weird that your Safeway is different. The Safeway here it's $3.97 whole or cut to your order but you have to buy the whole roast.

They'll cut it any way you want, if the meat cutter is there. I shop right when they open on my way into the office. So typically the meat cutter isn't in yet.

Case, I just can’t figure out if you should be my family or a really good next door neighbor! Either way, I’m losing with you on the other side of the country! All I can say is I’m really sorry neither of those scenarios is true!

Yes, you have skills, buddy!

Case, I just can’t figure out if you should be my family or a really good next door neighbor! Either way, I’m losing with you on the other side of the country! All I can say is I’m really sorry neither of those scenarios is true!

Yes, you have skills, buddy!

Thank you!

Case, that Rib Roast is outstanding and with the veggies over the top. That hazelnut cranberry tart is WOW!! Awesome dinner for sure.

Great looking rib!

I did the same exact thing today; bought one for $5.99/lb from Safeway the day after Xmas to try against the $19.99/lb one from the butcher that we had on Xmas.

I will say that the Safeway rib was very tender; the prime from the butcher was better, but I’m not sure if it was worth 3 times the price.

Don’t know if I’ll bother dropping $19.99/lb again.

Great looking rib!

I did the same exact thing today; bought one for $5.99/lb from Safeway the day after Xmas to try against the $19.99/lb one from the butcher that we had on Xmas.

I will say that the Safeway rib was very tender; the prime from the butcher was better, but I’m not sure if it was worth 3 times the price.

Don’t know if I’ll bother dropping $19.99/lb again.

I’ve never had a bad cut of meat from Safeway.

Back