Free Weber Grills?

Samuel

TVWBB Wizard
Are more Weber grills offered up for Free at this time of the year (Fall) then any other time. Reason I ask is I see one almost weekly here in my area. Most appear to only need cleaning, flavorizer bars, burners and grill grates to get them back into working order. The Spirits are more common then most.

October a key time of the year in the midwest as people are prepping for the winter and some realize they don't want to deal with storing the grill another winter with intentions to buy a new one next spring. But, I think that typically for us, things are best for finding rehab grills in the early spring, like April/May when people are emerging from hibernation and they pull the grill out to use it for the first time that spring and realize they would rather buy a new one that deal with cleaning and repairing the old one.

Down south, I sure you have similar experiences, but the months will likely be later in the fall and earlier in the spring and probably not as pronounced, since it would seem more people grill through the winter down south than they do up north.

Here in Richmond VA the supply has completely dried up as well as the demand. I was picking up at least 1 a week for free or very cheap to flip and I have been sitting on a Genesis 3000 for weeks without a single inquiry. Time for me to get back to leather sofas.

Yep, buying ended here back in September. but, I am still seeing grills pop up for sale cheap or free occasionally from people just wanting them gone before having to store them through the winter.

I hit a recent stride about a month ago of people moving and offloading them for really cheap, outside of that it has been slim pickings lately.

I'm new to the sport so I'm wondering if there was a bump in trade during 2020 from people being quarantined or self-isolated and trying to find something to do to fill the time...or has it been business as usual?

I sold less grills this year than past years, but that was mostly due to not doing enough of them. I never had one for sale more than a week and my prices were actually a bit higher than last year. I think I could have tripled my sales without a problem if I had rehabbed that many. I would say demand was as good or maybe better than other years.

I sold less grills this year than past years, but that was mostly due to not doing enough of them. I never had one for sale more than a week and my prices were actually a bit higher than last year. I think I could have tripled my sales without a problem if I had rehabbed that many. I would say demand was as good or maybe better than other years.
How many do you usually do?

Wow. From what I have seen, since about mid-June, a rehabber would starve to death in my area. There is a brisk market for the Q grills $100 and less, and the kettles and Performers $150 or less, but the few rehabs I have seen don't move very well.

This is what I am seeing. I might add that I hope it sells, and maybe giving it some exposure here will help it move.

Now is the time to do things to get ready for rolling out grills for next year. I don't sound like a Floridian anymore, do I?!!! Picking up real bargains is part of that, but getting parts ready and organized is my main goal. You may not be able to do full painting or grinding, but you can do stuff like badges, wheels and knobs as well as polishing up control panels. I hope to do some wood slats inside this winter as well.

I do wonder if there is any chance of getting a sale in early December for someone shopping for a Christmas present. It seems like Dave in KC tried a promotion like that with bows and everything. I don't recall how well it finally worked out for him.

In this area, this time of year is the "Covered Bridge Festival" which was canceled due to the stupid virus. A lot of people get into the act, and our Rte. 59 that our street opens to looks like a stretched out yard sale on weekends. I plan to be out there on Saturdays next fall, hopefully hawking three of four finished grills. Sounds good, but production will really have to improve. Hopefully with a small shop and using a sandblasting outfit that may be more attainable.

Wow. From what I have seen, since about mid-June, a rehabber would starve to death in my area. There is a brisk market for the Q grills $100 and less, and the kettles and Performers $150 or less, but the few rehabs I have seen don't move very well.

This is what I am seeing. I might add that I hope it sells, and maybe giving it some exposure here will help it move.

In South Florida, that would be sold in a few days. I think even in rural West-Central Indiana you would easily sell that. It is very nice looking grill at a super bargain. Don't take anything less. Maybe instead wait until spring and relist for $225.

It recently dried up here as far as high sales amounts, but I have no shame holding onto what I have until it gets good again. Been getting low-balled to death. That just leaves more grills for when the sales pick back up again. If that grill were near here I would buy it and flip it for more as it sits, that is an awesome price for a grill like that.

Very nice job on that grill at a great price. This summer in VA you could have got closer to $200 for it. Now people are thinking indoors.

Here in Toronto - I am seeing lots of grills out on the curb as people winterize their back yards.
I picked up a Ducane Meridian - took it home - washed off some of the grease - (found the burners and heat plates were shot) and flipped it for a quick $75.
One of my neighbours put out an ancient Weber that was totally shot - not worth rehabbing - when I got home from work someone had picked it up.

I passed up Spirit 300 series Stainless Steel the other day. When I got there it was dirty and just needed cleaning however the control panel had a small dent in it. My E-310 black has the lid that is chipping off. I thought I might swap the doors and lids that it might be pretty good if I would have cleaned it up. I am regretting not picking it up now. I probably will not get that opportunity again. I was looking for a black lid but that stainless steel one was very tempting and it was Free.

Weber SS Free.jpg

Last edited:
Yah, we had a surge of older grills hitting the market/curbs over the last few weeks until recently. Now they are stopping as the snow is starting to fly around here.

Doesn't need much. A few flavorizers are pretty beat. Needs a regulator and hose, which I have from my old Charbroil.

My hose has a female fitting. The Weber takes a hose with a male fitting.

Where can I get a fitting to allow me to use my Charbroil hose, or do I need to break down and buy a new hose?

manifold.JPG

Back