Free Red Head $0.00: Weber Genesis 1100 good working condition, ready to use (almost)

I have some E3xx grates and could check them, I also have grates from a 4 burner Genesis II. You could check yours and I can check mine and we can both post what we find....Let's see if we come up with the same results.

I have some E3xx grates and could check them, I also have grates from a 4 burner Genesis II. You could check yours and I can check mine and we can both post what we find....Let's see if we come up with the same results.
Deal

I'll check now

E3xx grates very magnetic.
Genesis II E410 grates very magnetic
I had a set for Silver B and they were NON-magnetic.

E3xx grates very magnetic.
Genesis II E410 grates very magnetic
I had a set for Silver B and they were NON-magnetic.

Genesis S 330 and Genesis ii and Genesis SPX 435 SS all HIGHLY magnetic.

Old-school Genesis 1000 SS not magnetic
QuliMetal 9mm and 7mm not magnetic
9930s not magnetic

Same results as me. It is crazy, because buying replacement grates direct from weber are likely to get you the same magnetic grates for the E3xx and Genesis II grills. But you can get very good 304SS aftermarket grates for much less.

That says it all.

Hoping to pick this up this weekend, I’ve got an email in to Dave S since he lives 10 minutes away I might as well see what he has for bars, I am going to order the 9mm Quilmetal with a hose once I have it and verify the hose needed.

Rich is giving me some slats and Z bars which will help me understand the process of replacing that stuff.

My plan is just to cook on this and use it a lot during the week.

Should be fun.

Thanks to all for playing along on this thread.

That says it all.

Hoping to pick this up this weekend, I’ve got an email in to Dave S since he lives 10 minutes away I might as well see what he has for bars, I am going to order the 9mm Quilmetal with a hose once I have it and verify the hose needed.

Rich is giving me some slats and Z bars which will help me understand the process of replacing that stuff.

My plan is just to cook on this and use it a lot during the week.

Should be fun.

Thanks to all for playing along on this thread.

That's so great Bruno!!
Slats and Z bars from Rich is a big score!!
I think those QuliMetal Grates are a excellent choice and Dave's flav bars are a great value in my opinion for what you are getting! I might be more excited about this project than you are lol. I like the way this project is going. Very cool

That's so great Bruno!!
Slats and Z bars from Rich is a big score!!
I think those QuliMetal Grates are an excellent choice and Dave's flav bars are a great value in my opinion for what you are getting! I might be more excited about this project than you are lol. I like the way this project is going. Very cool
I’m pretty excited I just want to get it home before I jump up and down.

I have to be honest Josh all your work these last couple months has certainly given me the itch.

I’m not a car guy but to me it’s like keeping a classic on the road.

Best part is I showed the wife the price and she said have fun.

I’m pretty excited I just want to get it home before I jump up and down.

I have to be honest Josh all your work these last couple months has certainly given me the itch.

I’m not a car guy but to me it’s like keeping a classic on the road.

Best part is I showed the wife the price and she said have fun.
That's so cool Bruno 😊
That makes me happy
And I'm so happy for you

In my search of never ending knowledge, I asked ChatGPT about which is better, magnetic or non magnetic. Based on this info, could anyone else explain to me why non is supposedly so preferred?

“The quality of 304 stainless steel is not determined by its magnetic properties. Here's a breakdown:

- **304 Stainless Steel Overview:** This type of stainless steel is an austenitic stainless steel, known for its good corrosion resistance, formability, and weldability. It's commonly used in kitchen equipment, piping, and automotive parts.

- **Magnetic Properties:**
- **Non-Magnetic:** When 304 stainless steel is in its annealed (fully softened) state, it is typically non-magnetic. This non-magnetic state is associated with the austenitic crystal structure, which gives the steel its excellent corrosion resistance.
- **Magnetic:** 304 stainless steel can become slightly magnetic after cold working (such as bending, rolling, or other deformation processes). The cold working causes some of the austenitic structure to transform into martensite, which is magnetic.

### Key Points:
- **Corrosion Resistance:** The magnetic properties of 304 stainless steel do not directly affect its corrosion resistance. Both magnetic and non-magnetic 304 stainless steel will generally have similar corrosion resistance as long as the material is not significantly altered.

- **Structural Integrity:** The magnetic properties are not a measure of quality or strength. What matters more is the application and how the steel was processed.

In summary, whether 304 stainless steel is magnetic or non-magnetic does not indicate whether it is "better." The choice depends more on the specific application and the desired mechanical properties.”

It is just generally considered that "Non magnetic" stainless steel is 300 series (304 or 316) which is generally considered the best grade of stainless steel for most applications. Since it is an easy test, it is highly relied on to verify the grade of stainless steel. In reality, it may not be a real good indication of the quality of the SS, but, barring having it analyzed by a lab or some other complicated testing system, that is what we as end users tend to rely on.

I work with a lot of 304 and 316L stainless pipe. For me it was just ingrained since I was an apprentice, the stuff that don’t rust is non-magnetic.

Love me some 316 stainless, I hope to get on a job where we do a lot of welding again. I’m pretty good with a TIG welder and we used to have unlimited access to pipe, square tube and solid stock. The stuff I could have made.

Stainless steel with less chromium, molybdenum, and manganese has better corrosion resistance than stainless steel with more chromium and manganese. It is known that stainless steels with magnetic properties, such as 409 and 430, do not resist corrosion as well as stainless steels with non-magnetic properties, such as 304 and 316. It is unrealistic to expect them to. The chromium content in grade 409 is 11%, which is enough though for use in automotive exhaust systems.

In grade 430, 16% of chromium is present, and the material is primarily used indoors. The chromium content of grade 304 is 18%, which makes it ideal for general-purpose uses and outdoor exposure. Grade 316 is needed for marine environments since it has 16% chromium and 2% molybdenum to help it resist salt corrosion.

wow, turned into a great thread... not that im suprised with the folks around here..

glad its going to a good home... i waited months to post this, as i wanted to keep it... once i drafted the the post, it took a while to hit the "post" button... i had pre-posters' remorse and some post-posters' remorse...

@Josh Dekubber totally agree I shoulda kept it... My wife disagrees now that we have another working grill (and egg, and ooni) in the mix...

Even though I dont post on the forum (I joined the night I picked up the Red Head Nov 12, 2021) , I have learned a lot here over the past few years... recipes, techniques, lubing up gas valves, parts, etc... and it was only fitting to post this up here and not craigslist or facebook marketplace..

See ya Saturday Bruno...

wow, turned into a great thread... not that im suprised with the folks around here..

glad its going to a good home... i waited months to post this, as i wanted to keep it... once i drafted the the post, it took a while to hit the "post" button... i had pre-posters' remorse and some post-posters' remorse...

@Josh Dekubber totally agree I shoulda kept it... My wife disagrees now that we have another working grill (and egg, and ooni) in the mix...

Even though I dont post on the forum (I joined the night I picked up the Red Head Nov 12, 2021) , I have learned a lot here over the past few years... recipes, techniques, lubing up gas valves, parts, etc... and it was only fitting to post this up here and not craigslist or facebook marketplace..

See ya Saturday Bruno...
Hi Oak,
I'm also glad it's going to such a good home and I understand sometimes we can't hang on to everything in life. I hope you can watch and enjoy the transformation of this Grill through this forum. I definitely will!

Stainless can be "designed" to do a lot of things. For instance (a tidbit of knowledge from growing up in Chicago), if you ever look at the iconic John Hancock building. Noted the prominent "X" shaped exterior supports. When the building was being erected those were shiny "stainless" steel. But, they're designed to form a "protective" "rust coating" that is only on the surface and then stops any further intrusion of corrosion. Well it's been in good shape nearly 60 years. So I guess it's working :D

Hi Oak,
I'm also glad it's going to such a good home and I understand sometimes we can't hang on to everything in life. I hope you can watch and enjoy the transformation of this Grill through this forum. I definitely will!
Hahaha remember I’m mostly just cooking on this. More daily driver than show car.
It will be interesting to see if I get the bug to take it up a notch beyond very usable.

Stainless can be "designed" to do a lot of things. For instance (a tidbit of knowledge from growing up in Chicago), if you ever look at the iconic John Hancock building. Noted the prominent "X" shaped exterior supports. When the building was being erected those were shiny "stainless" steel. But, they're designed to form a "protective" "rust coating" that is only on the surface and then stops any further intrusion of corrosion. Well it's been in good shape nearly 60 years. So I guess it's working :D
Larry, we had those big power lines run up here along the interstate about 9-10 years ago. They are supported by huge steel towers all along the interstate. I am sure you saw them on your trips up this way. They were nice shiny steel when they put them up. But they soon turned orangish/redish/brown. My son who is a welder fabricator told them they are made out of "Red Steel". Which seems to be the stuff you mentioned. It quickly gets a coating of rush on the exterior which forms a coating the rust proofs the steel under it.

Back