Frame paint, firebox paint, side panel paint Genesis 2000 redhead

Tork T

TVWBB Member
What have I done...?

Disassembled and painted the frame with Rusto High Heat Ultra and used Rusto 2x gloss black on frame where heat is not a concern. Looks decent I suppose, but the gloss highlights any frame imperfection which I'm fine with.

Then I painted the firebox using Rusto High Heat (not Ultra), and now the firebox looks gray when compared to the frame. The contrast is not necessarily a bad thing, but I'm not sure how the grayer color on the side panels will look.

Maybe the grayer color is fine when all grill parts are on and the wood slats are done. Any opinions? Am I overthinking this? Is there a matte black Rusto High heat? I couldn't find it...

I know I can always repaint, but just looking for any thoughts from you folks.

Thanks

painted firebox.JPG

I use the Semi gloss ultra on the lid end caps. It more closely matches the factory finish. I don't like the looks of the flat on the top. I do use it on the bottom like you did though.

Thanks Bruce-
So your firebox is all rusto high heat “grayer” color and only the end caps are semi gloss?

Bruce is spot on about the flat sheen for the firebox and shinier for the endcaps, as far as a "stock" look goes. I have personally used the shinier semi-gloss on both on some grills, just because I like it. For example, though, when I restore the Jr. Bruce gave me, I plan to use the flat on the bottom to try and be historically accurate.

Here is a Skyline grill I did with all semi-gloss black:

IMG_5077.jpg
IMG_5335.jpg

Tork,
I agree with you that the regular Rustoleum High Heat black looks more of a grey on the firebox and I only did one of my restores that way as I do not like the look vs the Satin High Heat Ultra finish.

I use the Rustoleum High Heat Ultra on all of my restores on both the cook box as well as the End Caps as to me it looks much better, more uniform.

I have a brand new Weber end cap as well as a brand new cook box for a x000 series 13 bar older Weber from the late 90s.

Take a look at both my posts and you can see that are both of the satin sheen.

End Cap post:

Cook Box post:

Jeff

Thanks for the comparison and info Jeff...and the new firebox! What a find!

Initially I liked the contrast of the firebox on the frame and found it interesting.

But now I've painted the end caps and cleaned up the redhead and installed both. I am not sure I like the combo... gloss frame, flat box, gloss ends, red lid, but I'll see how it shapes up. This Gen 2000 I have has a facia piece that spans the front from vertical frame member to vertical frame member (includes the "match hole") so it'll hide the flat lower box in the front. But that was my favorite contrasting part... I could leave that part off but it exposes the burner tubes a bit.

This is my first restore and I'm having a blast doing it and I can always repaint the box if I find it too unsettling.

Thanks again!

Back