A definitive answer on End Cap color/sheen.

Jeff MA

TVWBB All-Star
After having done several restores on older Weber Genesis' and Spirit gills and using several brands/sheen's of paint I might have an answer on the perfect paint choice for Vintage Weber's end caps.

I knew from the several factory photos I have that Weber used a different paint on the cook box (more of a flat), than on the end caps (more of a Satin).

I recently was lucky enough to score a late 90's original End Cap brand new in the box (story later). I figured this would be the perfect opportunity to compare it against the three end caps I current have and one is almost a perfect match to the paint Weber used back-in-the-day.

jzYl4rh.jpg

KilyqDw.jpg

ZyyABiV.jpg

and what paint matches the original Weber paint?...Rust-Oleum 241169 High Heat Ultra is almost a direct match.

Hope this helps those with future restores.

Jeff

Last edited:
Jeff that is what I am going to use also for the firebox liked the pop on your other restore so getting a bit confused what are you using for the frame?

Been using that since day one on my restores. Rustoleum also makes a flat version if someone cares for that.

Thanks for sharing Jeff. I have used the Rustoleum , but actually prefer Krylon High Heat Max for the firebox and endcaps, just a bit less sheen. I do use the Ultra on the frame though. Both are good paints.

Thanks! I've read many restore posts about painting but never got a sense on what exact paint matches the best.

I used some glossy car engine enamel for a temporary smaller frame repair and it was too glossy

NICE! And thanks

Just gave my old Weber Gasser a good scraping-out last night and she's due for a little TLC / Re-Paint when I get around to it.
I'm going to note this post for when that happens.

I dont think painting the interior is a wise move. You might want to consider removing that paint on the inside before grilling food in the grill.

The interior isn't supposed to be painted .... it's supposed to "season" if you can season aluminum :)

Back