Found my unfindable...a Weber Junior/Jr.

Jeff, great Jr. and big brother. Does your igniter work on the Jr.? MIne didn't when I got it but a realignment of the spark to a closer span solved the issue.
Next week I'm sanding 24 wood slats from a doner 1000 and then will stain them for my 1000 Redhead restore. My doner 1000 is NG. Are the burner tubes the same with just a different delivery system to them? They look like the same jet openings.

My igniter work just fine, starts on first click too.
I look forward to seeing your newly stained 1000, and yes, the Burner Tubes are the same between Propane and Natural Gas, so you'll be good-to-go.

Jeff

Last edited:
My igniter work just fine, starts on first click too.
I look forward to seeing your newly stained 1000, and yes, the Burner Tubes are the same between Propane and Natural Gas, so you'll be good-to-go.

Jeff

Jeff,
thanks and that's great news on the burner tubes. You are a wealth of information. I'm sanding all the slats on Thursday and then next week staining and coating.

I got some new items for the Junior today.

I'm sure most have seen the post about QuliMetal products. I placed an order for their stainless Grates and once they arrived I promptly cut them down to fit taking 2 1/2" off the width of each Grate. From what I was told Jr's never came with stainless Grates, only porcelain coated steel.

qlxaJfll.jpg

I also ordered some of RCplanebuyer 16g Flavorizer Bars.
The Junior is once again special using a double row of Bars like the 1000-5000 Genesis models but instead of 13 like it's big Brother the Junior uses 11.

l8r051kl.jpg

Jeff

Last edited:
That looks tremendous, Jeff.

Only thing that's left is some burger patty pics showing the hatch marks left by those QM grates.

I sure hope after all the $$$ you're spending on it that it doesn't let you down performance wise

Larry,
I hear ya. My Father Inlaw is expressing interest in the Jr as he mostly cooks for two and Loves the older Weber's as well. If it doesn't meet my standards it will be basically a brand new grill for him to enjoy.

Jeff

That looks tremendous, Jeff.

Only thing that's left is some burger patty pics showing the hatch marks left by those QM grates.

Thanks JKim,
Funny thing is, these days when I do cheseburgers, I'm doing Smash Burgers in the Cast Iron Griddle...not a sear mark to be had :)

Jeff

OK, I saved the best for last.

When I was looking for a Junior these last couple years I read up all I could find on them.Some loved them, some loathed them, but everyone said the same thing...
"What are you gonna do when the Burner Tubes go? They are a one-off item no longer made by anyone"

Luckily mine are in great condition, especially for being 30 years old. But it got me thinking. When I contacted Dave Santana (RCplanebuyer), about getting a set of Flavorizer Bars made for the Jr. I asked where he worked with Stainless Metal's, if he would be interested in custom making me a set of Burner Tubes for the Jr.

He seemed more than willing to take on the project and we went back and forth for a couple weeks on measurements and what Tubes he was going to use for the project. I wanted to use a set of Vintage Weber Tubes for this project as I know the older Weber Tubes were made of a non-magnetic material, and once I found and purchased a set I had them shipped to Dave for him to do his thing.

Dave cut 5 1/2"off each Burner Tube closest to the retaining screws end, flattened them out, then notched and welded the ends shut.

They arrived today with the Flavorizer Bars and are exactly like the original Tubes.

Here they are next to his Bars-

N4ebxUT.jpg

Next to my original Tubes-

HKBDflD.jpg

Mounted in the Junior and getting fired up-

JWyuzTN.jpg

So if there is anyone out there thinking about grabbing a Junior or people that already own one and want a set of custom tubes made Dave Santana is your man.

Jeff

Jeff,

That is just fantastic. Dave Santana is a true friend of us Weber fanatics. That is a great option for bringing one of these back from oblivion.

I, too, am really interested in your impressions of actually grilling on the Jr. I would be all over one if a salvageable one ever showed up in my area - no matter how mediocre they actually grill. It is a very cool part of Weber history. But, it would be nice to hear that they are underrated!

Thanks for sharing your progress!

Wow. This is pure eye candy. All the way. From the Junior itself through the RC burners, I just have to say it again: Wow!

GREAT work sir!

Jeff,
Did I see a warming rack for your Jr. on the bottom of your grill?
I've been looking for one to cut for my Jr. Did you cut that one or is it original?
Jim

So he actually "made" the tubes from scratch or he modified existing tubes to fit the JR? I am a little cornfused

Jeff,
Did I see a warming rack for your Jr. on the bottom of your grill?
I've been looking for one to cut for my Jr. Did you cut that one or is it original?
Jim

That is the original warming rack. It looks like corrosion on it in the picture but it is actually bacon fat that I seasoned it with.

Jeff

So he actually "made" the tubes from scratch or he modified existing tubes to fit the JR? I am a little cornfused

"We went back and forth for a couple weeks on measurements and what Tubes he was going to use for the project. I wanted to use a set of Vintage Weber Tubes for this project as I know the older Weber Tubes were made of a non-magnetic material, and once I found and purchased a set I had them shipped to Dave for him to do his thing.
Dave cut 5 1/2"off each Burner Tube closest to the retaining screws end, flattened them out, then notched and welded the ends shut."

We used Original Weber Tubes #3609 of the non-magnetic variety.

Jeff

"We went back and forth for a couple weeks on measurements and what Tubes he was going to use for the project. I wanted to use a set of Vintage Weber Tubes for this project as I know the older Weber Tubes were made of a non-magnetic material, and once I found and purchased a set I had them shipped to Dave for him to do his thing.
Dave cut 5 1/2"off each Burner Tube closest to the retaining screws end, flattened them out, then notched and welded the ends shut."

We used Original Weber Tubes #3609 of the non-magnetic variety.

Jeff

Forget cheeseburger pics! I demand that you provide pics of USDA Prime ribeyes when you cook on this thing! ;)

Back