Found my unfindable...a Weber Junior/Jr.

Wanted to post some pics of the cooking grates and a few observations.

The Junior is a very unusual grill in that is is only a two burner grill but the front-to-back depth (N-S) is the same as a Genesis 1000-5000 where the side-to-side width (E-W) is narrower.
It shares the same End Caps as a full size Genesis grill but the cooking grates as well as the burners are a one-off size.

Here is the Jr's Porcelain grate next to a Stainless #7527 grate I have lying around-

LW8tm3g.jpg

and sitting on top of the #7527 grate...same depth but a narrower width.

9fLwohE.jpg

You could grab any full size Genesis grate and use your Dremel or Hacksaw to cut off a couple inches and have a new grate.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. I could not figure out how I missed it as I follow that post but it was before I joined this awesome community!
Do you use it on the outside of the cookbox also and if so do you still use the angle grinder before you paint?

We may need a post just about this stuff if it is that awesome! Haha

Also back on the Junior, hope to find one in Texas and beat Stefan who lives in my area to it. They really look neat.
Were the colors just black, red, brown, and gray for the lids? The only pictures I have found online are the red and brownish color but I thought someone mentioned the others.

Chris,
I still use Simple Green with 0000 steel wool on the outside of the lid as it's dirt cheap and does the job well.

I don't do Wire Wheel cleanup in the interior of the cook box. I just use a good Heavy Duty cleaner and just hit 'em with a pressure washer. I will be curious as to other members thoughts when they finally use Dawn Power Dissolver, might make a separate post down the road.

Black/Red/Brown and Grey were the only color I am aware of for it's limited production.

Jeff

Jeff, it that stuff works so great on the end caps, I don't understand why you haven't used it on the cook box?

Bruce,
I can get a good portion of the grease off with Gunk Engine Bright and a Pressure Washer. I will try using DPD (new acronym)
on the JR in a bit as I just recently applied a coat of High Temp paint to the outside of the box.

Jeff

Last edited:
Thanks Jeff. I would love to have a pressure washer too, but I can't keep buying tools...LOL.

Do you have a couple photos of cook boxes that you did with Gunk and the pressure washer?

Bruce,
This is my Spirit 700 using Gunk and a Pressure Washer. I didn't spend a whole lot of time on it as I am getting fussier as the restores go along but this is the general idea.

D0OXhJ7.jpg

Jeff

I just bought two from PJP marketplace.com
Dawn Power Dissolver 2 Pack | 32 oz. Dawn Power Dissolver 2 Pack | 32 oz.
SKU: 7076GH
1 $19.99
Subtotal $19.99
Shipping & Handling $11.60
Discount (1STORDER) -$2.00
Grand Total $29.59
A good price and they are quick to ship.

Great job on the Jr and with RCP grates, you made your money back twice over right there.

Good luck with the Genesis 1000 rehab. I think you will find it to be a great grilling machine.

Thanks! I'm sure looking forward to restoring it to the original specs. The frame on my parts 1000 has the swing up table that has a slide up arm to secure the table. My Jr. just has a rod that you secure it with when it's open. Is the sliding arm the norm on the 1000's?

Usually on my restores I strip everything down and do a complete repaint but on the Junior everything is extremely clean. As a matter of fact this, as well as my Spirit 700, were the cleanest grills I have redone. I would have to say this grill was used very little and probably spent most of it's time in a shed or garage during it's past 30 years life.There is absolutely no rust in or on the bottom vertical tube legs, a rare site indeed.

When the former owner shipped it to me he removed all of the bolts in the Cook Box, this includes the Drip Tray Rail screws as well as the Burner Tubes screws. The screws are not rusted at all. Unbelievable for a grill of this age.

I washed the frame, scrape down some light surface rust on a couple tubes, and touched up a couple areas and it was good to go. Even the tank decal is mint.

I lightly sanded the Cook Box and repainted it using Krylon High Heat.

vSK4A5n.jpg

I normally go for a less shiny Cook Box and go with Stove Bright Satin Black or Rustoleum High Heat Ultra but on the Jr. the cook box mounts right next to the igniter panel which is more of a semi-gloss so I thought it would blend better.

I cleaned the original Redwood slats on the shelves, removing some grease stains from them as well as a bit of stain which lightening the stain a bit. I will touch that up before Fall. I was going to replace all the wood with Cedar but once again I want to keep this grill as original as possible.

I sprayed Fluid Film in the lower frame legs to stop any rust that might form as the grill will be sitting on a cement patio.

I reassembled the grill using stainless bolts/nuts/screws and replaced the wheel axle with a Grainger 316 Stainless Steel rod. I also replacing the like new original steel drip tray rails with the Aluminum Weber #97783 drip rails like I do on all my restores.

vKkDIT7.jpg

Jeff

Last edited:
Here it is all assembled-

rl9ejJ7.jpg

I threw my brown hood on it's big brother for a side-by-side pic-

sBwwpbH.jpg

Still got to refinish the Lid side panels and restain the wood but I wanted to get some cook time in on it before then and see how it compares to a full size Genesis.

Jeff

It's starting to get there. It will be nice to have a good looking piece of Weber history. Let us know how it cooks.

Jeff, great Jr. and big brother. Does your igniter work on the Jr.? MIne didn't when I got it but a realignment of the spark to a closer span solved the issue.
Next week I'm sanding 24 wood slats from a doner 1000 and then will stain them for my 1000 Redhead restore. My doner 1000 is NG. Are the burner tubes the same with just a different delivery system to them? They look like the same jet openings.

Looking really nice! I, too, am very interested in what you think of the Jr.’s grilling capabilities. I have heard various negative comments about that, although they wouldn’t stop me for one minute from getting one if the opportunity came my way;)!

Here it is all assembled-

rl9ejJ7.jpg

I threw my brown hood on it's big brother for a side-by-side pic-

sBwwpbH.jpg

Still got to refinish the Lid side panels and restain the wood but I wanted to get some cook time in on it before then and see how it compares to a full size Genesis.

Jeff

This looks awesome Jeff. And funny side by side.

That is a really awesome grill! I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures after the wood is completed. Great story, great looking grill, congratulations!

Back