Found a redhead

A Vargas

039927C8-F3CE-49D8-BD0A-F21A0E7900A8.jpeg
hello
Finally got a hold of a genesis 1000 or maybe 1100. I’ll be posting progress photos. The main issue is the center control knob is sticky (hard to turn) any advice? I was going to keep the original wood but I’m thinking about getting some nice redwood or cedar. It’s all there. No major rust. Super excited. Thanks in advance for all help and suggestions. Also. For the cook box do you prefer spray or roll on paint?

There is a video posted by Chris on how to take care of it. Follow the directions EXACTLY and it'll work as slick as s*** through a goose

If you’re going to keep it, I would just sand and restain. If it’s a flop, leave it alone.
regarding the valves, Chris has a video on how to clean out the valves. Just a little advice is if you plan on using a cup, don’t use plastic. Second is when they say use a little grease, go about the size of a sesame.

Wow!! This helps. Thanks. Also. What about new knobs. The original ones are kinda of rough not sure there’s a good way to clean them.

Welcome A! I finished a 1000 restoration in March. Like you, I'm in LA County. I went with redwood. Ganahl Lumber has locations pretty much everywhere except the Valley. Here's what the redwood looks like:

E3B3088F-CD88-43B3-973B-91329FC8B836.jpeg
00B35968-5C7F-4B16-B230-88816C02C349.jpeg

The handle is original and not redwood.

Hello J! That’s a beautiful restoration! What did you finish the wood with? Also are those black knobs? I’m debating if I should buy new ones. Trying to salvage the originals. But $30 for 3 knobs seems kind of expensive. The black paint looks great. Spray paint?

Hello J! That’s a beautiful restoration! What did you finish the wood with? Also are those black knobs? I’m debating if I should buy new ones. Trying to salvage the originals. But $30 for 3 knobs seems kind of expensive. The black paint looks great. Spray paint?
Thanks!

I used Osmo UV Protection Oil. Most people here use spar varnish. I chose not to because of the difficulty in refinishing it when the finish fails (all outdoor finishes will fail) and in our climate we do not see a lot of rain, but we do see a lot of sunshine. It's pricey, but a little goes a long way. If I had looked around a bit more, I might have gone with Flood CWF-UV that is available at Vista Paint or homedepot.com for less.

The knobs are Weber part no. 91333. The switch assembly is Weber part no. 87679. I would try Weber for those parts first. In my experience, Weber had the cheapest prices on parts, as compared to ereplacementparts.com or others. One set of the knobs is available on Amazon right now for $17.99. I found a set on eBay last fall for $12. The switch assembly I found last fall on Amazon for $5.99. I don't see any switch assemblies available anywhere right now. If you bought the knob set, you could try painting the switch assembly black to match. There's also a tvwbb thread about painting the knobs black.

The frame paint was high heat Krylon spray paint. Here is my Genesis 1000 Redhead Restoration thread if you want to see more.

Also, are you cleaning up or replacing the existing grates and flavorizer bars? If you go the replacement route and you buy from RCPlaneBuyer, I would love to add a single piece of Z bar to your order. I ordered one Z bar too few and it's not worth the shipping cost to purchase one Z bar.

Soak them in bleach water 50/50 or stronger over night. Next day, clean them up with some #0000 steel wool or 3M green scrub pad. Then apply some protectant. I like Aerospace 303. They will look as good as new.

Thank you Bruce! You were not playing!! I soaked them in simple green and scrubbed them with steel wool and they got a little better. But once I saw your post. I soaked them in bleach for just a few minutes and this was the awesome result. Thank you!!

t0sG1c6.jpg

Back