For Turkey or Other Long Smokes: Drink of Choice?

MichaelLC

TVWBB Super Fan
What's everyone's drink of choice for long smokes that "definitely" need to be monitored closely by the grill master? Beer? Sweet Tea?

I like just a good beer, either a mellow IPA or whatever's seasonal so now an Oktoberfest or other heavier beer.

Long?

Turkey breast only takes 1.5 hrs at 350F.

Turkey cooks best hot n fast. Pull at 150F , rest 10 min covered.

Imo that is

I wouldn't long smoke a turkey. Run the smoker up to 325F and use it like an oven with smoke. The ones I've done on the smoker have gone rather quickly. I usually spend the wait time preparing other items.

A nice Gewurztraminer would work nicely as to beverage. Wouldn't go bad when eating the turkey either.

Sierra Nevada's Eastern Brewery is just west of us. Quite a complex and going there is an event. We refer to it as Malt Disney.
We've been to the Chico, CA brewery a couple of times. Nice place, but just a brewery and restaurant. Definitely plan on visiting Mills River when this COVID BS ends. Ken Grossman is a class act and it shows in everything he's involved in.

The Celebration is the only SN I'm not fond of. Did you get their 40 year anniversary Pale Ale earlier this year? It was awesome
I did. As a matter of fact, we had it at their brewery when it premiered, a couple of years back. The draught is really nice.

This is what I drink when cooking the turkey!

First, I buy the turkey and a bottle of whiskey
Then I pour a glass of whiskey and put the turkey in the oven.
Take another 2 drinks of whiskey and set the degree at 375 ovens.
I have 3 more whiskeys of drink and turn the oven on.
Take 4 whisks of drinky and turk the bastey.
Then stick a turkey in the thermometer and glass myself a pour of whiskey.
Bake the whiskey for 4 hours.
Then I take the oven out of the turkey and floor the turkey up off the pick.
Pour myself another glass of turkey. Now, just tet the sable and turk the carvey!!!!

We've been to the Chico, CA brewery a couple of times. Nice place, but just a brewery and restaurant. Definitely plan on visiting Mills River when this COVID BS ends. Ken Grossman is a class act and it shows in everything he's involved in.

Sierra Nevada brewery used to have a tour at their Chico Brewery and restaurant.

Sierra Nevada brewery used to have a tour at their Chico Brewery and restaurant.
AFIK, they still do. You pretty much need to make reservations though. You can do a certain amount of roaming around, but I hear the guided tour is amazing. Maybe next time.

Pour myself another glass of turkey. Now, just tet the sable and turk the carvey!!!!
Feel like this should be in the Recipes forum. :)

Now read it again and slowly, in your mind, switch over to the voice of Swedish Chef.

Long?

Turkey breast only takes 1.5 hrs at 350F.

Turkey cooks best hot n fast. Pull at 150F , rest 10 min covered.

Imo that is
What are some of the best woods to use when smoking a turkey…pecan, apple, hickory, cherry, etc?

Back