For those with older Weber grills do you do this?

Drew

TVWBB Member
For those with the older Generations of Weber grills, Genesis, Summit, etc do you stockpile parts or accessories just in case Weber or say geillparts.com stops offering said item? Or am I the only one?šŸ˜‚

No, you are not! I do, and I know some others here do as well. I have several boxes of parts for my 1998 1st generation Summit 450:summit450:. These are already getting scarcer, and it will only get worse. I have a set of burners, flavorizer bars, a stainless warming rack and a manifold mostly boxed and labeled. Fortunately, the grates on this 450 are the same as the Genesis x000/SIlver/Gold (and for that matter, the current Spirit 300 series). That should ensure a ready availability of grates for years to come, although I fully expect my "rcplanebuyer" Dave Santana stainless rods to last longer than me:smilekettle:.

It is tempting to grab one of the ~$100-$150 deals currently available on similar old Summits to ultimately restore but in the meantime to serve as a back-up parts mule.

No, you are not! I do, and I know some others here do as well. I have several boxes of parts for my 1998 1st generation Summit 450:summit450:. These are already getting scarcer, and it will only get worse. I have a set of burners, flavorizer bars, a stainless warming rack and a manifold mostly boxed and labeled. Fortunately, the grates on this 450 are the same as the Genesis x000/SIlver/Gold (and for that matter, the current Spirit 300 series). That should ensure a ready availability of grates for years to come, although I fully expect my "rcplanebuyer" Dave Santana stainless rods to last longer than me:smilekettle:.

It is tempting to grab one of the ~$100-$150 deals currently available on similar old Summits to ultimately restore but in the meantime to serve as a back-up parts mule.
I hunted for over a year to find original looking replicas of the grates for my Silver C. I know Weber offers replacement grates but they donā€™t fit as well and wiggle so thanks to Amazon I now have two sets of single divide bar grates again. Can share if youā€™d be interested

Attachments

• B24938A6-445A-4020-B136-F2CED32D4661.jpeg
    B24938A6-445A-4020-B136-F2CED32D4661.jpeg
    144.6 KB · Views: 6
Iā€™ve gone well past stockpiling and moved into the full on hoarding phase. I have a particular affection for NOS items that are no longer in production or otherwise seemingly unavailable. Off the top of my head, i can rattle of the following list of brand new items still in the box that are stashed in my shop: X000 LP Manifold (x2), X000 complete side burners (1ea NG & LP), 4 or 5 different complete durawood shelf assemblies in various sizes, 92510/92515 rectangular bezels and push buttons (x3), 9057 grill out lights (x4), X000 knobs (x12), a very unusual Weber range type add-on accessory LP side burner, and at least 2 of the holy grail 40968012 grease trays for X000 grills. Iā€™m sure I overpaid for some of these items along the way and I find it hard to justify using any of them on a project more often than not just because of their scarcity. Even so, I have no regrets and would buy more of almost every one of these items tomorrow if new ones were to roll across the resale market within my sights.

Last edited:
S
Iā€™ve gone well past stockpiling and moved into the full on hoarding phase. I have a particular affection for NOS items that are no longer in production or otherwise seemingly unavailable. Off the top of my head, i can rattle of the following list of brand new items still in the box that are stashed in my shop: X0000 LP Manifold (x2), X000 complete side burners (1ea NG & LP), 4 or 5 different complete durawood shelf assemblies in various sizes, 92510/92515 rectangular bezels and push buttons (x3), 9057 grill out lights (x4), X000 knobs (x12), a very unusual Weber range type add-on accessory LP side burner, and at least 2 of the holy grail 40968012 grease trays for X000 grills. Iā€™m sure I overpaid for some of these items along the way and I find it hard to justify using any of them on a project more often than not just because of their scarcity. Even so, I have no regrets and would buy more of almost every one of these items tomorrow if new ones were to roll across the resale market within my sights.
Same! When I got my Silver C after my dad after he passed away I saw that he was wise enough to save the instruction manual, accessories guide, and weber cookbook. So Iā€™ve been hunting for most of the accessories that came with the grill at the time in 04. Only thing I have not been able to find is the holy grail #7542 griddle attachment. Amazon offers a dang close clone though. Iā€™ve looked up all replacement parts per the Weber website replacement guide and add to my amazon and have been slowly buying if Itā€™s offered

I did do that. I also keep multiple similar grills with the intention that one could become a parts supply to keep the other going.

I actually regret buying a few hundred dollars of backup parts a few years ago. They are all still easy to find online. Worse, I've since then found entire free grills with the parts on them.

I could build two dozen grills with just parts. But I collect them for restoring grills to sell, not so much for my personal grills. But, I got those pretty much covered as well...hahaha.

I recently picked up a free Silver C for backup parts - good lid, firebox, burners, tables, manifold, side burner and grates. Now I'm torn because the frame is in very good shape, but the rotted out bottom, missing drip tray, grease tray and flavorizers make it a costly but doable rehab candidate. For now, it's going to get tucked behind the garage. It's hard for me to strip something that can be made whole again.

I have for my 1998 Gen 2000 a spare set of burners and SS flavorizer bars plus two ignitors. It doesn't get used a lot so that should out last me.
My 2007 E320 I have a set of flavorizer bars and burners.
Even though it gets used a lot the original FBs and burners aren't showing any wear.

I just replaced the plastic slider for the drop down table on my Genesis today. You can't buy a new one so it's good to have some extra parts on hand, old one had become bent out of shape and kept popping off the grill.IMG_20230414_170503267.jpg

Yah, I don't think you will find a source for those other than taking them from another grill.

Yah, I don't think you will find a source for those other than taking them from another grill.
No, that's why I don't have a problem picking up a beat up grill once in awhile knowing that it's really just for parts for my nicer grills.

I recently picked up a free Silver C for backup parts - good lid, firebox, burners, tables, manifold, side burner and grates. Now I'm torn because the frame is in very good shape, but the rotted out bottom, missing drip tray, grease tray and flavorizers make it a costly but doable rehab candidate. For now, it's going to get tucked behind the garage. It's hard for me to strip something that can be made whole again.
Beware the ā€œbehind the garageā€ storage solution. My grills seem to breed and multiply back there. At least thatā€™s what I tell the wife...

It's like me with the mixers. This week I had a customer call me indicating a VERY old machine I'd worked on for her (her grandmother's) began to run only at full speed. Those old units use an archaic (but effective) mechanical governor system tied in with a very big 200 ohm wire wound ceramic resistor. Well the resistor, the condenser and control plate are basically impossible to get now since they went out of production nearly 50 years ago and were made before Hobart sold the KA name to Whirlpool. I had to call her with bad news. But, then I remembered I might have had a machine in my "graveyard". Sure enough. I got her treasured inheritance running again

Beware the ā€œbehind the garageā€ storage solution. My grills seem to breed and multiply back there. At least thatā€™s what I tell the wife...
I just did some "rearranging" to make my mess less objectionable. Now I have one on the patio (normal, it's finally grilling season here again) , one on the side of the house next to garage (not too unusual) , and two in the garage along with all my extra parts stashed in various spots. I think I'm safe for the time being from my wife, especially since I'm doing some work in the kitchen to get it ready for repainting.

Back