For something a little different... gator and chicken

Dave_H_TX

Thought that I would put up one of my more recent and interesting cooks. A buddy of mine decided to do an alligator and asked if I could smoke it... Neither of us have ever done a gator before, but it was by far one of "funnest" cooks in recent history.

The meat:
12 lbs gator - brined and rubbed with 50/50 Meat Church "The Gospel" and Kosmos "Cow Cover", tail was stuffed
4 lbs chicken - brined and ubbed with BGE Savory Pecan
Stuffing was a rice, jalapeno, bell pepper, onion, sausage and crawfish

IMG_5965.jpg
IMG_5966.jpg

The cook:
Grill was 230 the entire way with pecan wood. Gator took about 5.5 hours to get to 163 and the bird took a little under 3 hours. Rested everything for about 45 minutes.

IMG_5968.jpg

IMG_5971.jpg

The results:
First this was really for the kids... and the dads, lets not kid ourselves here. Both meats were outstanding with good smoke and the rubs added to the flavor. Gator ate like chicken, not fishy at all... De-boned the gator and chicken to create sandwiches, added some of the stuffing to the sandwich as well and topped with Kosmos bbq sauce. All in all, fun cook, fun presentation and good eats.

IMG_5974.jpg

IMG_5973.jpg

IMG_6058.jpg

Absolutely fabulous read and pics! For some reason the other day, I was wondering about cooking gator, so quite timely for me. We don't have them locally and I don't know that I'll go out of my way to get any, but like you said, fun to see. And I also love the chicken in the mouth of the gator!

Absolutely fabulous read and pics! For some reason the other day, I was wondering about cooking gator, so quite timely for me. We don't have them locally and I don't know that I'll go out of my way to get any, but like you said, fun to see. And I also love the chicken in the mouth of the gator!
Rich, there are 2 recipes in a cookbook I have called, "Grillin' Wild with Rick Browne". One is "Grilled Gator Kabobs" and the other one is "Stewed Swamp Gator". If interested in them, just let me know.

Ohh found another one. It's in my cookbook by Nancy Davidson, "Killer Ribs". I got a kick out of the title of the recipe. It's
called, "Eat or Be Eaten" Bodacious Bar-B-Que Gator Ribs. It came from a restaurant in Winter Park, Florida called "Bubbalou's Bodacious Bar-B-Cue". The book was published in 2006, so I don't know if the restaurant is still open.

Ohh found another one. It's in my cookbook by Nancy Davidson, "Killer Ribs". I got a kick out of the title of the recipe. It's
called, "Eat or Be Eaten" Bodacious Bar-B-Que Gator Ribs. It came from a restaurant in Winter Park, Florida called "Bubbalou's Bodacious Bar-B-Cue". The book was published in 2006, so I don't know if the restaurant is still open.
Bubbalous Bodacious BBQ? Yes, still in business at same location. One of my business locations, our colleagues go weekly.

Bubbalous Bodacious BBQ? Yes, still in business at same location. One of my business locations, our colleagues go weekly.
Teddy, thanks, that is interesting to know. Wonder if they still have alligator on their menu.

Teddy, thanks, that is interesting to know. Wonder if they still have alligator on their menu.
Actually I take that back. The location my guys go to is in Altamonte Springs, not too far from the previous Winter Park, FL location. They have another couple too if I recall correctly. According to menu they still have gator. I would usually get catfish or pulled pork. They’ve got some nice house sauces.

Rich, there are 2 recipes in a cookbook I have called, "Grillin' Wild with Rick Browne". One is "Grilled Gator Kabobs" and the other one is "Stewed Swamp Gator". If interested in them, just let me know.
Thanks, Joan, but for me oit was just a thought. I have to many recipes in the stack already!

Back