foil vs. plastic wrap

Scott Hoofman

TVWBB Super Fan
I just read recently, it might be in Mike Wells, "Peace, Love, and Barbeque" that Kirk thought that foiling something was making it a "nothing but a roast", but, either Kirk or Wells, recommends wrapping p/b or brisket in plastic wrap. Is there a difference? It seems that its the reabsorbtion of juices that your going for, and both tin foil and plastic wrap would create a steaming effect.

ps. that would be during its "resting" period

I would think plastic wrap would start to shrink from the heat. I don't know if having the squeeze on the meet will help or hurt juice distribution.

I've never done it myself but I believe when I've read about wrapping the meat in plastic wrap (no doubt I read it somewhere on this very site) there was a specific directive to use a heavier-duty wrap. The plastic-wrapped meat was then wrapped within foil and allowed to sit/rest. I've just always done foil only - I've yet to find a plastic wrap that doesn't frustrate me the way refolding a car-map does my wife.

I think Paul Kirk differentiates between foiling during the cooking process vs. foiling to hold meat in a cooler before serving. Not sure if that distiction makes a lot of sense, but I believe that's his view.

Regarding the use of Saran Wrap on cooked meat, here's what Paul Kirk says in the book I'm currently reading, Paul Kirk's Championship Barbecue when talking about how long to smoke meat:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I always recommend allowing extra time--an hour, perhaps--when smoking any kind of food. You can always wrap it in plastic wrap and keep it warm and moist in a cooler if you are finished well before serving time. (pg 28) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I could swear that I read something about using Saran because there is sort of a tight, shrink-wrap effect from the heat of the meat during holding, but I can't find the reference.

Regards,
Chris

i have a comment about foil.....last week i did two 5 puonder second cut briskets...took them to 160 and then foiled till 200..it was by far the best and softest brisket yet....1 year and still learning strong.. thanks

have a great weekend

I'm trying to find where I read it but, someone advocates to plastic wrap ribs AND wrap in foil to cook.

I don't remember were I read it but I don't think it a good idea to cook in plastic wrap.

What that was about was that Original Saran Wrap used to be good at temps up to 265°, I think, and could therefore be employed for BBQ techniques, since it didn't melt or break down at common BBQ cooking temps.

It doesn't matter witch one I use, I always have a leek. And,
icon_smile.gif
the hot juice always runs on to me when I pick it up.

i detect an odor on sandwichs wrapped in plastic wrap at room temp, so i imagine that smoking must increase this process. i'm also sure the smoke and rub hide any trace of this.
as a rule, i avoid direct contact with foodstuffs and cling wraps.
chicken little

Wouldn't foiling something like a brisket for too long of a time while in the smoker in fact make it a "roast" (as Kirk claims)?

I'm going to do a brisket in two weeks (promised some smoked fish to some people for this week's smoke) and I think I'll foil it toward the end (per Mordechai)and see how it comes out. Other than that, I think I'll stick with the HD aluminum foil for the "resting period".

Michael, what kind of odor are you talking about? Sorta metallic? or maybe petroleum?

Scott,

I received "Peace, Love, and Barbeque" for Fathers Day and, flipping through it, I noticed his use of plastic wrap instead of foil during the rest period. Seems like an interesting idea.

Back