Flippers, How are you handling Sales With the Coronavirus

Rich Dahl

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I have two gassers and a WSM I want to sell, but I'm not sure how to handle the contact, any suggestions.

Paypal and Venmo seem to be the preferred method right now. It involves a bit of trust between the two people, but I made two purchases of grill stuff yesterday via pay pal. Sellers left the stuff outside and I picked it up and paid for it.
But for selling grills, you can certainly use the 6 foot rule and paypal or venmo or even cash at the time of sale. If you are worried about germs on the cash, just let it set for 8 hours. That is max time for the virus to live on any surface. Buyers can wear gloves if they wish picking up the grill.

Thanks Bruce, that sounds like a safe way to handle it. I still have to get them cleaned up so I may wait to the end of the month to list them. Hopefully it may have calmed down a little by then. Can't work in the garage anyway went out there this morning to do a few things to my beater 4runner and the wind was blowing in 5 minuets my nose was running my eyes watering from the pollen had to give it up and went inside....hate it.

Last edited:
Honestly not much different than normal, except now I don't offer to help them load it into their car / truck. If they give me cash I just have them put it in a Ziploc bag.
For buying I always offer to send Venmo or PayPal and ask them to leave on front porch or in driveway. I wear gloves when loading then when I get home I let it sit in my garage for a day or so.
I didn't know that bit about the virus only living on a surface for 8 hours, good to know if it's true.

Yah, Kyle, there is a lot of conflicting info on how long it will remain viable on surfaces. Probably best to wait a couple days to be sure.

Just pretty much handling as normal on my mixers. Just picked one up this past Thursday. A non runner for $70. It was in gorgeous cosmetic condition just would not turn on. Found out the owner had taken the armature brushes out and put them in upside down. Voila dead mixer. Was a nearly brand new machine but had oil leaking out pretty badly. So I went through it. Cleaned out all the grease, added in the good stuff got it together, set the timing properly and cleaned it up. Sold it yesterday for $160. I wish they were all that easy LOL. Though even as an "easy" one I still put about 4 hours of bench time on it. Considering KitchenAid sells this as "remanufactured" for $379 I think I gave a whopping good deal for $160 and full year warranty20200403_113549.jpg20200403_113543.jpg20200403_113526.jpg20200403_113519.jpg20200403_113509.jpg20200403_113500.jpg20200403_113452.jpg

I'm also wondering if there will be any buyers with all the layoffs and shuttered businesses and the risk of contamination. Although I'm not going anywhere so I could just do a listing and see what happens.

Everyone be aware the latest research says the virus lives up to 72 hours on plastic and 48 hours on steel. There is conflicting information about paper products like money with some sources saying a few hours and some saying not at all. This all seems to change frequently based on the source and latest information

The wife and I have started wearing masks when we go out (only for essentials) based on the new recommendations. And of course I'm masking at work (hospital) all the time now except when I'm alone in my office.

Not trying to be an alarmist. Just wanting everyone to stay safe.

Last edited:
Everyone be aware the latest research says the virus lives up to 72 hours on plastic and 48 hours on steel. There is conflicting information about paper products like money with some sources saying a few hours and some saying not at all. This all seems to change frequently based on the source and latest information

The wife and I have started wearing masks when we go out (only for essentials) based on the new recommendations. And of course I'm masking at work (hospital) all the time now except when I'm alone in my office.

Not trying to be an alarmist. Just wanting everyone to stay safe.

Thanks for sharing that Greg, I've read the same thing about the virus life.

Is selling flipped grills essential? Where I live, it's only trips out of the house for essential work and food hunting/gathering.

Is selling flipped grills essential? Where I live, it's only trips out of the house for essential work and food hunting/gathering.
Backyard grilling is good family time. I suppose if one had a way to sanitize the outside of a grill a good preheat wilt take care of the inside. Could make the "lockdown" much easier for somebody that doesn't already have that option. It's been mentioned already how a transaction could be done with little or no interaction. So I guess in some ways it's safer than going to the grocery store. I have a nine year old boy. He is literally bouncing of the walls. Anything that gets him out of the house is essential. My 13 year old girl is going through a really hard time with all of this for other reasons. So in my opinion as long as common sense is used, then getting a family grill if you didn't already have one could be a welcome outlet in this thing we are going through.

Chris, you are in a hot zone/state. THings are not so tight everywhere else. In Wisconsin, it is more of a suggestion that you stay home.

THings are not so tight everywhere else.
Bruce, thanks for reminding me of this. It did cross my mind a few minutes ago.

Just the most gentle of reminders...from yesterday's White House briefing from Dr. Birx. It's a message for all Americans, not just those in hot spots.

“The next two weeks are extraordinarily important,” White House coronavirus response coordinator Deborah Birx said Saturday at a press conference. “This is the moment to not be going to the grocery store, not going to the pharmacy, but doing everything you can to keep your family and your friends safe.”

Last edited:
Chris, you are in a hot zone/state. THings are not so tight everywhere else. In Wisconsin, it is more of a suggestion that you stay home.
I live just over an hour away from Chris, with pretty much the same restrictions and enforcement. What I posted earlier stands, however I got to thinking about it and it makes me sad that some people may not be flipping grills but selling them because of bills.

Jason, that could be the case. However, those are likely not the ones I would be buying since I don't pay more than $50 for a grill. If people are selling off grills to make ends meet, they are likely one of the many $200 plus ones I have been seeing all spring.

My mixers are sterilized prior to beginning work on them. I then only work on them with gloves (not because of Covid but because I try to keep my hands cleaner and free of grease, grime and solvents. When done I give them another sterile wipe down, fresh gloves, a polish and I stage them in my garage. The buyer gives me $$$$ and takes the mixer. When I pick one up I bring wipes with me. Again the machine is wiped and so are my hands. I can't say much for the $$$$ as I don't have a clue what to do for that. If you use a bleach type disinfectant or alcohol it could ruin it. So I just try to keep hands clean, and not touch face until after a wash. Don't know what else I can do. Not gonna stop as I consider appliance repair/sales essential. After all I am keeping people indoors.........................right?

LOL. As far as the money goes. I would think a couple days leaving it sit would ensure any covid germs are gone. I am guessing you could put it the dryer for a few minutes as well. I know FLU germs can't take much heat over about 90 degrees.
Yah, keep rehabbing the mixers. Seems the End of the World nuts are thinking that being able to bake bread is a necessity as finding bakers yeast was virtually impossible.

Actually I'm not flipping grills anymore I'm downsizing my herd, really don't need ten grills. Barb and I agreed that getting the camp chef grill would be a good choice for us and we also agreed that at our age it was time to downsize.
As far as getting out for essential items except for walking the dogs I haven't been out of the house for 20+ days now so I'm doing my part for social distancing.
I asked the question to see what others are doing and I wouldn't do this if felt that there was any chance of getting infected or passing the Covid-19 on to someone else.
I can't control what other people, do only what I can do. I haven't made a decision yet as to when I will list the grills just trying to get some ideas,
there is no urgency. If I can't do it safely I won't do it.

Back