Flat iron problems

Aaron B

So today I was at the grocery store looking to get an eye of round for a reverse sear. I picked through a few they had and saw a really nice one with the fat cap almost completely removed. What luck! Well not so much... Apparently a flat iron steak had somehow managed to get into the eye of round section. When I got home I looked at the package at it turns out it was an almost 6lb flat iron steak, uncut with that big tendon still in the middle of if. This thing is not trimmed down to the normal thinner cut flat irons I usually see.

Now I'm a pretty flexible guy and I know this is a good cut of meat so I feel pretty confident I'll be able to turn this mistake on my part into something good, but I was hoping to get a few ideas from the community here. I had planned to serve the eye of round very thinly sliced on burger buns for the college football games this evening. Anything like that would be great but I am more than open to all ideas. Thanks ahead of time everyone!

Aaron, sounds like you got a top blade roast. If not mistaken, you get two flat irons by cutting it in two length-wise, along the "tendon", as you called it. However, you could also cut several steaks out of it, against the grain.

Look up flat iron and chimichurri sauce. Slicing and makeing a sandwich (per your original plans), seems like a great idea too.

Back