Flame-thrown Pork Chops

Brian Johnson

TVWBB Pro
After a week of sub-zero temperatures and wind chills (and probably too much time perusing this very forum), there is no better way to celebrate a high of 42°F than to break out the Weber! Or maybe I was just looking for an excuse to break out the SearPro torch I got for Christmas. Either way, Saturday was pork chop day!

Since I wanted to use my new torch, I opted for a reverse sear approach. I set the coals up in my 22" OTG and fired them up. Once I was satisfied with the temp (around 250°F at the cooking grate) I added a piece of apple wood for smoke and waited. Once they reached about 115 internal, I pulled them from the Weber and seared them with the torch. Added some leftover rice and frozen veggies (literally just grabbed what I could find for sides) and called it dinner! Everyone enjoyed the food, and I was reminded of how much I like pork chops (especially when they aren't over cooked and dry). I didn't get any plated pics (too hungry) but here are the highlights.

Flame-thrown Chops- (1).jpg Flame-thrown Chops- (2).jpg

Flame-thrown Chops- (3).jpg Flame-thrown Chops- (4).jpg

I’m right there with you about the weather.
Canada is sorta right in my backyard.
Nice and warm today at 45 degrees.
The snow just melted so this is sandal weather around here as far as I’m concerned.

How do you like that flame thrower ?
I'm not real happy with the cheap one I got a few months ago.
When it feels like igniting it melts cheese good enough I guess.
It works so so at best for lightning briquettes or the burn pile.

After a week of sub-zero temperatures and wind chills (and probably too much time perusing this very forum), there is no better way to celebrate a high of 42°F than to break out the Weber! Or maybe I was just looking for an excuse to break out the SearPro torch I got for Christmas. Either way, Saturday was pork chop day!

Since I wanted to use my new torch, I opted for a reverse sear approach. I set the coals up in my 22" OTG and fired them up. Once I was satisfied with the temp (around 250°F at the cooking grate) I added a piece of apple wood for smoke and waited. Once they reached about 115 internal, I pulled them from the Weber and seared them with the torch. Added some leftover rice and frozen veggies (literally just grabbed what I could find for sides) and called it dinner! Everyone enjoyed the food, and I was reminded of how much I like pork chops (especially when they aren't over cooked and dry). I didn't get any plated pics (too hungry) but here are the highlights.

Good looking chops!

Haven't used my grill torch to sear any meat yet but have roasted some chiles with it. Made quick work of them. Love it for starting charcoal too. Much faster than using the old chimney and cheaper to use than charcoal starters. I did get an adapter/hose so I can use 20# cylinder instead of expensive 1 pounders. It's proven to be a good investment.

I’m right there with you about the weather.
Canada is sorta right in my backyard.
Nice and warm today at 45 degrees.
The snow just melted so this is sandal weather around here as far as I’m concerned.

How do you like that flame thrower ?
I'm not real happy with the cheap one I got a few months ago.
When it feels like igniting it melts cheese good enough I guess.
It works so so at best for lightning briquettes or the burn pile.
So far I like it. But full disclosure, I've only used it a couple of times. This was my first experience trying to actually sear something. And the last time I used it to light coals, it was literally just a pile of coals in my kettle for the purpose of seeing how the torch worked. I didn't even cook with them.

Good looking chops!

Haven't used my grill torch to sear any meat yet but have roasted some chiles with it. Made quick work of them. Love it for starting charcoal too. Much faster than using the old chimney and cheaper to use than charcoal starters. I did get an adapter/hose so I can use 20# cylinder instead of expensive 1 pounders. It's proven to be a good investment.
Thanks - they were very tasty, probably had more to do with not overcooking them than searing with a torch, but a good cook is a good cook!

If I end up actually using the torch regularly, I may have to look into the adapter/hose trick.

Great new toy! Uuh, torch!
Now, I want one!
enablers!
I honestly never thought about getting such a torch. A buddy bought me a smoke tube last Christmas to use in the old hand-me-down treager I have, but I never got around to getting a proper tool to light it with. So when my wife suggested it as a possible gift from my mother-in-law I was expecting something from ACE hardware, not a mini-flame thrower lol. Now that I have it, I'm considering abandoning the chimney in favor of the torch! Who knows, maybe I'll get into sous vide just to have an excuse to torch things! lol

I honestly never thought about getting such a torch. A buddy bought me a smoke tube last Christmas to use in the old hand-me-down treager I have, but I never got around to getting a proper tool to light it with. So when my wife suggested it as a possible gift from my mother-in-law I was expecting something from ACE hardware, not a mini-flame thrower lol. Now that I have it, I'm considering abandoning the chimney in favor of the torch! Who knows, maybe I'll get into sous vide just to have an excuse to torch things! lol
Any excuse to use a toy!

Back