Five and Dime burgers (A.K.A. Smashburgers)

Boss Banks

TVWBB Pro
Here is some pics from my smashburger experiment from earlier in the week. In the small town where I grew up, we had a five and dime store. They had a lunch counter with a grill. I always remembered those burgers as being some of the best ever. This is the closest I have come to duplicating that taste.

I used my Lodge CI pizza pan. I bought this a month ago. Not only does it make a great pizza crust, but it also doubles as skillet too. Set up for two zone cooking with the pan on the hot side. Leave the lid off and let it get forevermore scalding hot.

Here are the players. I used ground chuck and made 1/4 pound balls. I also brushed the skillet with a small amount of peanut oil.

Live action smash down....as you can see lots of steam.

These cook pretty fast. I would guess about 3-4 minutes per side.

After flipping. Just like other posts the crust on the burgers was outstanding. I then sprinkled on some of my house seasoning.

Here is the plated picture. I like my burgers the Jimmy Buffet way...all I have to do is sing the song. I did toast the bun as well and served with some cole slaw and skillet taters. I was not only impressed with the crispy exterior of the meat, but these are SO JUICY.....you must give them a try. My wife thought they were the best burgers that she has ever ate. Thanks for looking!

Good looking Burgers!!!
First Wolgast and now you...I need to make some Im craving them now:D

Ground chuck is the only "ground up" beef I'll buy anymore. You just can't beat the flavor and juiciness!

Now, as far as the burgers you have presented in the above photos.... OUTA THE PARK, BOSS! :cool:

Thanks to everyone looking and commenting so far! Yes Jim! This is my go to recipe for creamy slaw.....I will post that recipe tomorrow.

Good looking burgers! I like to grind my own chuck and make burgers, meat balls, etc. will have to try the smash burgers some time. Your post has me hungry!

This is wonderful.............
IMG_0549_zps1ec73000.jpg

Back