First WSM cook - Beef Ribs

Gregory R

TVWBB All-Star
Here is my first experience with my new WSM. Started out by lightly seasoning the ribs with gray salt, pepper, garlic powder and a little cayenne for heat.

Wrapped the ribs and put in the fridge for awhile. Setup the WSM and used the Minion method with a mix of Hickory and Apple chunks. I let it burn for an hour to get used to the dampers, then it was time to cook. I setup a drip pan on the lower rack to make cleanup a little easier. Ribs on and ready to close her up.

Had to play with the dampers on and off but finally got it dialed in to 225 - 230.

After the first 3 hours:

Then I wrapped in foil with a little beer, molasses, ketchup and mustard. After 2 hours:

Back on the WSM for another 1/2 hour and here's the finished product:

All in all I was happy with the cook, but I think I'd omit the foil to keep the meat a little firmer. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for looking . . .

Your beef ribs look real good to me, Gregory! If you can get beef ribs like that all the time, I would try one rack without foil and one in foil but for less time and see how it goes.

Hey Gregory, I've cooked beef ribs at least a dozen times and I agree with you, omit the foil.
not really needed. everything you did for this cook is exactly what i'd do without the foiling and your ribs would be soo good, you'd cook more today:)
They look GREAT! keep trying different ways until you find what you like. The ribs don't mind and it's fun eetin' different types of beef ribs.
And welcome to the forums! :wsm:

Thanks for all the feedback. Ribs tasted good, but wasn't wild about the texture, so no foil next time. Already thinking about my next cook and what to try. I'll keep you posted. :wsm:

"All in all I was happy with the cook, but I think I'd omit the foil to keep the meat a little firmer. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Gregory as Jim said, you may want to omit the foil next time. I'm glad you liked it!

Gregory,

Great looking Beef Ribs ! Excellent Cook.
About foiling.... yes, foiling can help bring the meat to a FOB state (over cooked), but (and more importantly) it gave you the chance to add additional flavors which might be hard to do if not foiling. One option would be to foil for a much shorter time.

Bob

Boy those look very tender and gooooooood!!!! I am still amazed by how much beef ribs shrink, Starts off looking like a big rock-o-meat and after a while your like what happend to all my grub!

!!!! I am still amazed by how much beef ribs shrink, Starts off looking like a big rock-o-meat and after a while your like what happend to all my grub!

true! With beef ribs like those you gotta.cook twice as much as you think you need. They are good , tho.
:wsm:

Back