First use of my charcoal Go Anywhere

MikeLucky

TVWBB Pro
So, I bought both Go Anywhere grills a few months back because they looked like awesome grills and I just decided I wanted them. lol. My oldest daughter's fiance just got into grilling and just graduated from college and is moving to LA to live with her and needed a grill so I gave him the gas Go Anywhere as a graduation gift. I picked up some T-bones on sale at WinCo and decided to break in the charcoal Go Anywhere with them.

Starting the charcoal in the small chimney.

8Xlyins.jpg

Steaks are ready to go.

S26B6yp.jpg

Coals are poured.

4XFCxNE.jpg

She's already throwing out that beautiful smoke.

dPBh8PD.jpg

Getting hot...

fRA2AoB.jpg

That Maillard in action.

IOnqrg7.jpg

Pulled to rest.

npzJgzS.jpg

Bacon and green beans and a few leftover jalapeno poppers.

PhalHrv.jpg

Not too bad for a Tuesday.

KVzJnEu.jpg

All in all, I love this grill. Some of you probably noticed that I was using the "grate" that comes with the gas version. I had purchased a deflector and put the regular grate on the gas one and decided to try this one on the charcoal version. People complained about this grate for use on the gas version. It seemed to work pretty good, actually. But, I enjoyed using this grill enough that I'm going to get a killa grilla half and half grate for it. I see a lot of use for this one for me.

That's awesome. Thanks for posting.

I bought two Go Anywhere gas grills a couple months ago. Only reason I bought them was for the 3 wooden handles on each grill.
I've since installed some worn out plastic handles, but have yet to throw food on either. I'll have to give it a shot. Wish mine were charcoal.

(y) Awesome looking meal nice steaks even though i don't own a go any where grill, i do own a jumbo joe with mods for about 8+years these small grills are awesome to cook on it's all about the skill my hat off to you!

Nice use of a GA, Mike! I use mine for tailgate sausages and burgers so I fire it with a simple pyramid of briquettes over a Weber cube because I don't need a lot of heat.

I get nostalgic every time I see these little grills because I had something really similar 25 years ago. We used to grill steaks and chops and all sorts of stuff on it. These little grills can get HOT! Nice post.

I get nostalgic every time I see these little grills because I had something really similar 25 years ago. We used to grill steaks and chops and all sorts of stuff on it. These little grills can get HOT! Nice post.

It's interesting you say this. I think that was what initially drew me to the Go Anywhere. Growing up, my Dad grilled ALL THE TIME. But, with him being in retail we moved a lot and lived in apartments for a lot of years. So, what I always knew as grilling was on one of these:

1590985515938.png

No matter where we were, if we needed to grill we could even go get one of these from Skaggs Alpha Beta along with steaks, baking potatoes, green beans, and salad. That was grilling and even as a kid I loved it even more than going out. Always was my favorite meal. Still is to this day which is why I've become such a Weber fan and why I probably am so invested in Webers and grilling for my family.

The Go Anywhere definitely hit that nostalgia nerve about my Dad grilling on that little hibachi and how excited I would get about dinner. Today my Dad is 85 years old and declining due to lung disease. Thankfully I am near him and can be here to help my parents with groceries and to take care of them. But, soon I will be able to grill him a steak again and enjoy a nice dinner with my folks again. He has a nice Spirit grill at his house that I use, but I might just take my Go Anywhere with me next time to do the grilling on, for old time's sake.

You sound like a very nice and carring son, we can only hope our own children can be as carring as you as we grow older.

I picked up a GA a couple of years ago, have not used it yet, $10 from Craigslist, the guy was driving up 131, met him at Costco. Should have bought some steaks, no idea why I didn’t!?

It's interesting you say this. I think that was what initially drew me to the Go Anywhere. Growing up, my Dad grilled ALL THE TIME. But, with him being in retail we moved a lot and lived in apartments for a lot of years. So, what I always knew as grilling was on one of these:

View attachment 6138

No matter where we were, if we needed to grill we could even go get one of these from Skaggs Alpha Beta along with steaks, baking potatoes, green beans, and salad. That was grilling and even as a kid I loved it even more than going out. Always was my favorite meal. Still is to this day which is why I've become such a Weber fan and why I probably am so invested in Webers and grilling for my family.

The Go Anywhere definitely hit that nostalgia nerve about my Dad grilling on that little hibachi and how excited I would get about dinner. Today my Dad is 85 years old and declining due to lung disease. Thankfully I am near him and can be here to help my parents with groceries and to take care of them. But, soon I will be able to grill him a steak again and enjoy a nice dinner with my folks again. He has a nice Spirit grill at his house that I use, but I might just take my Go Anywhere with me next time to do the grilling on, for old time's sake.

Dang Mike, you're tugging on my heart strings. My dad wasn't much of a griller but when he did, he piled the briquettes up high and used a gallon of lighter fluid in his old charcoal grill. He was really more of a pyromaniac than a griller! You're dad might really appreciate another meal on the hibachi. I say go for it. My Dad and I grew apart quite a bit before he passed (mostly because we lived 700 miles apart) but the love was always there and will always be.

1591057724014.png

And the legs are in the proper position. If you see one with the legs splayed out a bit with the crossbars resting on the pavement/surface, you know it's being operated by a GA Newbie. ;)

View attachment 6138

I love your story because I have similar memories of my Dad grilling steaks out in our driveway on summer Saturdays using that same Hibachi. The first time I used my CharQ to grill a sirloin (what we always had as a kid) that smell awakened memories from years gone by.

IMG_1069.jpeg

IMG_1072 (1).jpeg

I guess I have to thank my Dad for starting my interest in grilling. He passed away many years ago, but he would have liked to see me grilling on charcoal!

Attachments

• IMG_1069.jpeg
    IMG_1069.jpeg
    243.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1069.jpeg
    IMG_1069.jpeg
    243.9 KB · Views: 1

View attachment 6138

That is so funny - That is exactly the hibachi that I also grew up with. I don't think we ever had a "real grill" Mostly burgers and chicken marinated with Italian dressing and ketchup. I just did a chicken the same way on my Q the other night.

That is so funny - That is exactly the hibachi that I also grew up with. I don't think we ever had a "real grill" Mostly burgers and chicken marinated with Italian dressing and ketchup. I just did a chicken the same way on my Q the other night.

It was burgers, steaks, and chicken smothered in KC Masterpiece BBQ sauce at our house. Lol. So, pretty much the same thing.

These are great little grills but I do find the legs a bit of a faff. I really only use it for kebabs/kabobs as the sever rest perfectly flat across the grates which I don't get with the SJP. Don't get much of a char mark from the greater as they are so thin though.

Can someone post a close up picture of the clip to keep the legs together? Mine is missing it and I would like to find / make something as I can't find where to buy one.
Thanks
Joe

There's a clip? Honestly, I can't understand why one would be necessary and I've never had a problem using my CGA without it.

You could probably form a small piece of stainless steel to do the job.

Back