First two cooks on my WSM, bacon and beef ribs

Oliver S

First off I took about 6 pounds of pork belly, divided it into thirds, and seasoned each one differently, letting them cure for about 8 days while we were on vacation. Then when we got back I smoked them under 200 degrees with a few chunks of hickory for about 4 hours until they reached 140, and last night I sliced and vacuumed them all. They turned out great.

2hiaHqJ.jpg

nb3wc6t.jpg

And seeing as how I had off on the 1st of May, I decided to try some beef ribs. I special ordered 8 pounds of beef ribs from our butcher, and ended up with 4 massive ribs. I decided to try a few different variations, two of them had a more typical rub (garlic powder, chili powder, etc.) and received a beer baste an hour or two before completion, and the other two got the franklin treatment, a light coating of hot sauce followed by a salt and pepper rub, and some apple cider vinegar a few hours before completion. All the ribs went into the cooker around 10 am, and I kept the cooker within 10 degrees of 250 the whole time with minimal fiddling. They were done around 9 hours later when they hit 203.

HbI1gJX.jpg

Ready to go.

yJwn14W.jpg

A quick baste at around 7 hours

eBkOnsm.jpg

And out they come

zhBcFQT.jpg

DfPHWCj.jpg

My texan wife made some delicious potato salad and bbq sauce to go on the side, I made some coleslaw, and we wowed some irish friends who'd never experienced the glory of one of these massive beef ribs.

To say I was happy with these first attempts would be a massive understatement. ;)

Bacon & Beef.... what could be better? Both are outstanding, however I'd be partial to the ribs.

Looks great, Oliver, if those are your first two cooks, then I can't wait to see what you come up with next! Your bacon looks divine, and reminds me that I'm out......need to fix that!

Rich

Back