First Timer Genesis 1000 Rehab

BubbaD

I picked up this Genesis 1000 for free off Craigslist a couple weeks ago, and am excited to start rehabbing her. Unfortunately I caught Coronavirus, so I'm stuck inside quarantined for the next 10 days. So glad I found this forum! I've been reading through a ton of posts and feel like I've got a good idea of what all needs to be done, but would love some tips for a first timer. The guy who owned it before me tried to paint the porcelain flat black, so I'm planning on using paint stripper to remove it. Is that the best technique? Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_3133.JPG
    IMG_3133.JPG
    199 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_3042.jpg
    IMG_3042.jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 68
Yep, paint stripper will work great. Those flavorizer bars look in good shape.. yahhhhh!!! It looks like you are missing the drop down swing table, but other than that, it looks like a great grill for rehabbing.

Sorry to hear you”Caught the bug” but, the next two weeks doing research and getting a little dirty will provide you with either a great grill for the next twenty years or an addiction for which there is NO vaccine!
Weberitis is mostly consuming and may be in remission from time to time but, “ Surrender all hope, Ye who enter here!”
There is more than enough support here to salve the wounds of Weberitis but, there is only so much that can be treated. Tools, paint, parts can all fill the void until the next project comes up, and one always comes up!
Welcome to the ward!
BTW, my nice clean shiny maroon lid is positioned just right so,as I am prepping dinner most of the summer, the evening sun shines right off it and into the kitchen window where I work!

I’m thinking about painting it flat black.....

Yah, not only did you catch Coronavirus you may have also caught Weberitis and Weberitis may be worse as there is no known cure as of yet and being in quarantine for a period of time because of it may not be a solution. Anyways, it looks like you got a good candidate for a rehab grill.

Yep, paint stripper will work great. Those flavorizer bars look in good shape.. yahhhhh!!! It looks like you are missing the drop down swing table, but other than that, it looks like a great grill for rehabbing.

Awesome, yeah I think the swing table is all I'm missing. Do the Flavorizer Bars actually look in good shape, or should I replace them? Sarcasm is hard to figure out on a forum haha

Sorry to hear you”Caught the bug” but, the next two weeks doing research and getting a little dirty will provide you with either a great grill for the next twenty years or an addiction for which there is NO vaccine!
Weberitis is mostly consuming and may be in remission from time to time but, “ Surrender all hope, Ye who enter here!”
There is more than enough support here to salve the wounds of Weberitis but, there is only so much that can be treated. Tools, paint, parts can all fill the void until the next project comes up, and one always comes up!
Welcome to the ward!
BTW, my nice clean shiny maroon lid is positioned just right so,as I am prepping dinner most of the summer, the evening sun shines right off it and into the kitchen window where I work!

I’m thinking about painting it flat black.....

Hahah I got a fever, and the only prescription is more Weber! Thanks for the support, I'm excited to learn from everyone who's come before me.

knock the dust off the flavo bars and drive on. THey are perfectly fine until they get holes in them or the sides get all eaten up. Once it is time to replace them, get a good set of Stainless 16 gauge ones.

knock the dust off the flavo bars and drive on. THey are perfectly fine until they get holes in them or the sides get all eaten up. Once it is time to replace them, get a good set of Stainless 16 gauge ones.

That's great to hear, will do!

By the way, I never use sarcasm. Just ask anyone on this list. They will all back me up.

I'm not sure about that. When I zoomed in to look closer, it seems like there's more than a bit of rust-through.

Yah, kinda hard to tell, but when he knocks off the crud (no need to get them shiny), if there are any holes or other excessive wear, then it will become evident. Often, the rust and crud is covering up the holes.

I'm not sure about that. When I zoomed in to look closer, it seems like there's more than a bit of rust-through.

I dropped the grill off at my new apartment and haven't been back since I've been quarantined. I'll get some better photos next time I'm over there. Thanks for the help

Took a few more photos of my grill yesterday. Do the flavo bars still look good, or should I replace them? You can also see where the red is poking through from under the flat black paint.

Attachments

• IMG_3198.JPG
    IMG_3198.JPG
    227.2 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_3199.JPG
    IMG_3199.JPG
    284.4 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_3196.JPG
    IMG_3196.JPG
    221.3 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_3195.JPG
    IMG_3195.JPG
    198.7 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_3201.JPG
    IMG_3201.JPG
    160.8 KB · Views: 26
I would say the Flavo bars are very borderline. It looks like they have some holes and the edges are getting pretty ragged. That is a sign they should be changed. But you can bet by for a little while. The cooking grates need some good cleaning, but they look like they are nearing their useful life as well.
I suggest you replace both with good Stainless Steel versions if you plan to keep it. You don't have to go all out, but for about $100 or a little more, you should be able to outfit it with some pretty nice grates and flavo bars.

Dang, I figured they'd need to be replaced. What do you suggest for flavor bars and grates? I know a ton of people on here swear by RC, but I just looked and the flavor bars are $72 and the grates are $160. If it's a grill I don't plan to resell, is it worth spending that? Thanks again.

Back