First Timer Genesis 1000 Rehab

Bubba: I would never use RCP grates and Flavo bars on a flip grill. No way you would get your money back out of them. I would only use them on personal grills. If you are doing that grill for yourself, then you might want to consider the RCP stuff. Otherwise, check out the sticky for Weber parts. https://tvwbb.com/threads/weber-gas-grill-parts-source.76176/

But, also keep this in mind. You can contact Dave (RCP) through his craigslist adds and tell him what you want. He will give you a quote and since it cuts out Ebay, you will get a better price plus if you buy both bars and grates at once, he can combine shipping. Also, keep in mind that sources for the flavorizer bars on Genesis 1000-5000 grills is drying up fast and it is almost impossible to get a set of flavo bars for less than $50 unless you go with the ultra cheap 20 gauge or the cheap porcelain coated ones. The RCP flavo bars are definitely worth the few extra bucks. The grates are more of a choice. You can get some very good solid stainless steel rod 7-8mm grates for about $60. These are my favorite in that price range: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077XQJ6C4/?tag=TVWB-20

Also, check this thread out for a great review on various grill grates that Jon Tofte did last year.

But if you have the money and you want the best, you won't beat RCP grates, but you will pay more than double.

Answer to the question about Dave's grates. Yes they're worth every penny. When you see the quality of product and workmanship and relatively inexpensive pricing you'll be amazed. Heck Jon was amazed at what he made for my Wolf and the price he made them for and those were TOTALLY a custom job. If it's a keeper the investment in quality of how you actually "interact" with your grill is worth it. Remember paint and polish is one thing. It's visceral and does not affect your actual "interaction" with the grill. The only thing that actually matters to the performance and your "interaction" (how you perceive the performance) is through the flavorizer bars and grates. So for that it does matter. BTW his price on Genesis grates is half what Weber charges for similar. Another case in point my brother has one of the second generation Summits. He had me refurb it for him a few years back. He rarely takes care of it. Poor thing looks like hell but one thing he constantly raves about is how much he loves those grates

Bubba: I would never use RCP grates and Flavo bars on a flip grill. No way you would get your money back out of them. I would only use them on personal grills. If you are doing that grill for yourself, then you might want to consider the RCP stuff. Otherwise, check out the sticky for Weber parts. https://tvwbb.com/threads/weber-gas-grill-parts-source.76176/

But, also keep this in mind. You can contact Dave (RCP) through his craigslist adds and tell him what you want. He will give you a quote and since it cuts out Ebay, you will get a better price plus if you buy both bars and grates at once, he can combine shipping. Also, keep in mind that sources for the flavorizer bars on Genesis 1000-5000 grills is drying up fast and it is almost impossible to get a set of flavo bars for less than $50 unless you go with the ultra cheap 20 gauge or the cheap porcelain coated ones. The RCP flavo bars are definitely worth the few extra bucks. The grates are more of a choice. You can get some very good solid stainless steel rod 7-8mm grates for about $60. These are my favorite in that price range: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077XQJ6C4/?tag=TVWB-20

Also, check this thread out for a great review on various grill grates that Jon Tofte did last year.

But if you have the money and you want the best, you won't beat RCP grates, but you will pay more than double.

Thanks Bruce, that's great info. I just emailed RCP to get a quote. Happy 4th!

Answer to the question about Dave's grates. Yes they're worth every penny. When you see the quality of product and workmanship and relatively inexpensive pricing you'll be amazed. Heck Jon was amazed at what he made for my Wolf and the price he made them for and those were TOTALLY a custom job. If it's a keeper the investment in quality of how you actually "interact" with your grill is worth it. Remember paint and polish is one thing. It's visceral and does not affect your actual "interaction" with the grill. The only thing that actually matters to the performance and your "interaction" (how you perceive the performance) is through the flavorizer bars and grates. So for that it does matter. BTW his price on Genesis grates is half what Weber charges for similar. Another case in point my brother has one of the second generation Summits. He had me refurb it for him a few years back. He rarely takes care of it. Poor thing looks like hell but one thing he constantly raves about is how much he loves those grates

Thanks that's super helpful!

Back