First Time With Water in the Water Pan

RandyRegier

Baby backs are todays choice for my 18.5" WSM(first time I have tried them). I am wondering how many of you all use the water pan with water or any other liquid? I have done chicken, chicken thighs and meatloaf but didn't use any water in the pan. Thanks for feedback in advance.

BB's and spiral sliced ham is the only things I use the water on because I like the ease on how that works as a heat sink on lower temps. (225)
Depending on your target temp, you could run it naked.

Tim

I don't like using water in the pan - I just foil it. I use a temp controller for longer cooks - but I only use it for overnight cooks. I have also had better luck with baby backs at a higher temp - 250-275, which the WSM will hold pretty steady without using much of a heat sink.

Stopped using water after a couple of times. Now I only use a foiled water pan. Less mess and clean up is a breeze!

Don't use water. It's messy and eats up your fuel like crazy. I use a Stoker and have found that a clay pan really helps to stabilize temps when foiled in the pan. Even without an ATC, a clay pan will be a better sink than water. Worst case, run an empty pan foiled and adjust your vents earlier to avoid overshoots.

I did my first BB and used water. I hadn't used water at all previously with several chicken recipes. I think I could have held temp at 250 without the water, and the inside of the lid turned rust orange color after I used the water. Two chicken smokes and no water later, it is back to black inside the lid again. That said, the ribs were super tender and moist. But they might have been without the water as well.

Never use water in the pan, & I seem to be able to control the temps in my 14.5"-er quite easily.

I just sit one of these in the water pan to assist with clean up.

ezlk3m.jpg

Last edited:
I use pizza stone in WSM. Over it I set a disoosable pan with a little water, round 1/2 gal. This is enought for 7 hours round 240/250 T really steady. For me water in the original water pan seems to Evaporate too fast.

I always run with water when doing low and slow. If I'm trying for high heat I'll run it dry. The moisture is supposed to help smoke adhere to the meat. And I've found that in long cooks it helps the bark to not dry out as much.

Back