First Time Spare Ribs - St. Louis Style

Glenn Baumgarth

TVWBB Member
Tried some spare ribs from Sam's. Total weight before trimming was 14.5 lbs. Also foiled ribs for the first time. Turned out a little over done on the bark. Think there was too much swimming in between and I missed pulling them off and foiling in time as the wind picked up and fire got a little too hot.

Used the Spareribs 3-2-1 recipe on this site since it was my first time. Rub was good and foiling with brown sugar, honey and apple juice was good...just a little too done on the bark.

Seasoned and ready to go.

On for 2.5 hours. Was able to keep it around 275 like the recipe calls for. Got in the pool for a quick cool off thinking everything was okay. Came back at the 2.5 hour mark and the temp was up to 320. YIKES!!! Here they are going on.

Going into the foil with brown sugar, honey and apple juice.

Back on the heat for 1.5 hours with the trimmings heating up below.

Got some spuds ready. We call them "Aunt Jo Potatoes" in honor of my late Aunt Jo who gave us the recipe. Potatoes chopped up and rolled around in a full stick of butter. Cover them with parmesan and garlic and into the oven at 450 for 45 minutes.

Ribs out of foil after 1.75 hours...again too much time got away from us in the pool. Two on the left sauced with Pappy's Sweet Baby Jane and one on the right sauced with Pappy's Holly Hot.

The one with Holly Hot sliced and ready to serve.

Aunt Jo Potatoes ready to go.

Plated with some fresh peppers. As you can see, they were definitely falling off the bone.

...and the trimmings saved to the fridge to be consumed as snacks another day.

All in all...pretty good. Not my best ribs, but well worth the time. Still think I like baby backs a little better. Next time I'm watching my fire a little closer.

Seems to be a common theme with my last thread on brisket. Need to get me a therm to help monitor my pit and meat.

Thanks for looking.

Good job. Love Aunt Joe's spuds, too. Definitely nothing wrong with that cook.

The next time you do ribs try one rack the same amount of time but w/o foil and one rack less time in the foil to see what you think. This will give you an idea of how you and your family and friends like em best.

I'm guessing it was a little warm, Glen... I think I would be in the pool and not watching the clock, too. From over here it all looks good.

Nice looking spares, Glenn! Your results are better than the first time I ever smoked spares. Those rib tips & trimmings look mighty tempting too. These days, whenever I cook St. Louis cut spares, I have an irresistible urge to snack on the trimmings before carving the ribs, so by the time dinner rolls around, I'm all burnt out on BBQ and my family ends up eating the lion's share of the ribs.

Looks like good eats Jim. I would try them without the foil next. I did one rack without and one with and I enjoyed the W/O foil better. It was about five hours on at 250ish.
Love Aunt Jo's potatoes.

Nice looking ribs and I'm going to have to borrow that potato recipe. I did some St. Louis ribs yesterday for the first time yesterday as well. I foiled them after about 2 1/2 hours or so. I shouldn't have foiled them or at least not nearly as long as I did. They fell apart when I took them out of the foil. Yours look great.

Thanks for all the posts guys! I guess what they say is true about a cook being their own worst critic. Definitely looking forward to the tips and trimmings at work tomorrow!!

Back