First time baby backs on WSM

Jeff Holmes

TVWBB Super Fan
It has been a long time since I've done ribs. Before, I never could control temps on my wood fired grill. While the flavor was to die for, they never really had the tenderness/chew I like. So, with being able to control the temp precisely with the IQ110 and the WSM I got last season (really, it took me this long!?) I'm looking forward to these.

I'm really bad about taking pics of stuff while it's cooking, I never really do when it's plated- it's hectic with 3 kids, a wife (just one), a MIL and me usually starving to death it makes it hard to remember. I'll do my best this evening.

Tonight's menu:
Last meal ribs with doctored up sweet baby rays
Fresh corn on the cob
Boxed red lobster cheddar biscuits
What we call cheesy taters
And banana cream pie for dessert

Minion method with hickory chunks KBB
225-230 on the IQ110

I'm hoping about 3 to 4 hours

Cheesy taters recipe:

Wash taters with skins on
Cut in to chunks
Spray nonstick spraying 9x11 or do baking pan
Salt and some pepper
Finely chop 1 small onion and stir it all up in pan
3-4 big dollops of butter
Cover in shredded sharp cheddar cheese or whatever you like
Cover with aluminum foil to keep chees from burning
Bake at 425 for about 45min, see if taters are soft, at this point I usually stir it up too
If taters are tender, remove aluminum foil
More shredded cheese
Continue to bake till cheese browns on top

I've tried smoking them but it's just not that great IMO. But we used to do them on the grill and that worked fine.

More later

I had to peek!

Absolutely a homerun meal! It's hard to push away from the table on these kind of meals.

I should have let the ribs go a bit longer, I like them a bit more tender...

Dear Jeff,

The ribs look great but I'm really digging the cheesy taters!

Nice work all around.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Right at 4 hours not including carmelizing the BBQ sauce... .. For the bend test, one little hairline crack started and threw them back on for about 20 min.

Jeff those are some mighty tasty looking BB and love the Mrs. potatoes. Will be giving that one a try and again awesome job by both.

Back