First successful Brisket

Before you laugh please be aware we are cooking for two, not a horde.

This was even trickier as when we undid the butcher's string there was a 2nd piece in there to make up the weight. Grr.

The Weber started out too hot due to having too many briquettes in there but dumping half solved that issue. We actually also cooked a beer can chicken, duchesse potatoes and tomatoes.

The meat is a bit too spicy for us but we are on the learning curve and will adjust suitably for the next brisket cook. When I cut a small bit off last night to try it it literally fell apart. :)

Pete

Attachments

• IMG_20230625_095716[1].jpg
    IMG_20230625_095716[1].jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20230625_100005[1].jpg
    IMG_20230625_100005[1].jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 39
Great first shot. Good on you guys!

If the brisket is stringy and falls apart, you can always make bbq beef sandwiches. Just add some of your favorite bbq sauce to the shredded beef and place on a nice brioche bun.

Looking forward to more of your cooks and pics.

Welcome aboard!

Last edited:
The thing about brisket is no two are the same and this is a very good start with a rather unusual challenge! The size alone makes it far more difficult than a full packer, the much larger mass of a whole brisket is intimidating but it also allows a lot of latitude when cooking.
You have done a fine job for a first attempt. Learn from it and keep going forward!
Strong work!

Congrats on your first successful brisket Pete. The WSM being too hot is a easy fix, check out how to fire one up for good cooking. I suggest the Minion method, but all are excellent

Not too bad for a first brisket cook. My suggestions are to always cut brisket across the grain of the meat, which makes it less stringy and easier to chew, and there’s always brisket tacos, sandwiches or brisket pizzas to make with a less than desirable eating brisket.

And someone who may even be watching this, made the comment a couple of months ago when I remarked on 15lb brisket with a thin end to the flat, that you can cut off any portion of the flat (like that thin end) and smoke the brisket you want, not just what you ended up buying. His suggestion was to save the extra piece for chili, so that's exactly what I did. Froze that raw chunk of brisket and just made perhaps the best chili I've ever done. There will be more brisket chili in my life. I can't think of a better use for a flat. Smoke it to over 150* and then cut it up for chili!

Left over brisket makes an interesting and delicious Shepard’s pie as well as great beef barley soup.
Weird takes maybe but those flavours really shine.

Back