First smoke in WSM22

TravisGrimm

TVWBB Member
Tomorrow morning I'm going to be smoking 2 pork butts. This will be the first smoke. I'm wanting to try and run the smoker around 275°. I was going to use the minion method and dump in a full chimney worth of lit charcoal. My question is will there be enough charcoal in the smoker to maintain 275° for the 8-9 hours it'll take to cook the butts? Thanks!

It is only supposed to be a high of 60° tomorrow. And rainy. Where it sits it'll be protected from wind but not rain.

If you get rain remember the lid sits INSIDE the center section so, you are pretty likely to get water intrusion from the rain, find some way to get some cover,
Also, you are not doing 8# roasts you are doing 16# of probably fairly cold meat. If you are not using the water pan(except foiled to catch grease) your 275 should not be a problem but, I think you’re going to need more time.
The barbecue gods do not like to be rushed, it might be 10-12 hours or possibly more. If you get them done in nine that’s pretty good. I tend to plan on an hour a pound with an extra hour or two for cooking if they get done a bit early, you can always foil, wrap in towels and let them rest in a cooler for a couple of hours before pulling.
My last butt was huge, almost 12# and took 17 hours. Just something to keep in mind, that’s the biggest butt I’ve ever done.
You will likely need to replenish some charcoal, I just use a fireplace shovel through the door, easy enough.
Good luck, let us know how things turn out.
Butts are pretty forgiving but, the stall will stress you out the first time, just be patient, you will be rewarded.

If you get rain remember the lid sits INSIDE the center section so, you are pretty likely to get water intrusion from the rain, find some way to get some cover,
Also, you are not doing 8# roasts you are doing 16# of probably fairly cold meat. If you are not using the water pan(except foiled to catch grease) your 275 should not be a problem but, I think you’re going to need more time.
The barbecue gods do not like to be rushed, it might be 10-12 hours or possibly more. If you get them done in nine that’s pretty good. I tend to plan on an hour a pound with an extra hour or two for cooking if they get done a bit early, you can always foil, wrap in towels and let them rest in a cooler for a couple of hours before pulling.
My last butt was huge, almost 12# and took 17 hours. Just something to keep in mind, that’s the biggest butt I’ve ever done.
You will likely need to replenish some charcoal, I just use a fireplace shovel through the door, easy enough.
Good luck, let us know how things turn out.
Butts are pretty forgiving but, the stall will stress you out the first time, just be patient, you will be rewarded.
Thank you! I plan on starting them around 330am and we aren't eating until 530pm. So hopefully 14hrs will be enough time. If not it'll just give us the opportunity to drink more beer before dinner!

Travis,
I’d fire them about midnight if it was my call, the early part will be getting the fire dialed in but, once you get close, you can probably get some sleep. Better to get the butts to temp(or probe tender, my preferred method) earlier. That way you can (like I said) have them done and resting. They pull better when they’ve rested and the meat is more juicy. Trust me, it’s better to have the meat resting than cooking when your guests arrive!
One more thing, spray the grate, it will make clean up much less drudgery.

Tim's comments on dry water pan are key. Taking buts out of the fridge for 30 minutes or so before the go on the smoker will help. I always double wrap butts, ribs, and brisket after they hit the stall (known as the TX Crutch) and put couple of tablespoons of beer or apple juice concoction in the foil as well to help with steaming/braising effect. HD foil is best.

Good Luck!

Travis,
I’d fire them about midnight if it was my call, the early part will be getting the fire dialed in but, once you get close, you can probably get some sleep. Better to get the butts to temp(or probe tender, my preferred method) earlier. That way you can (like I said) have them done and resting. They pull better when they’ve rested and the meat is more juicy. Trust me, it’s better to have the meat resting than cooking when your guests arrive!
One more thing, spray the grate, it will make clean up much less drudgery.
Ok thank you! 12am it is!

Thanks John but, I’m not a crutch person and I have found that moisture, aside from the normal condensation in the foil tends to soften the bark more than I like. Now, for a first cook, my opinion (and that’s all it is) is to go dry, don’t wrap and, MOST OF ALL, DO NOT PEEK!
Good to hear you’re starting earlier, that will give you a little time to relax, I hope.
Remember good barbecue will not be rushed. And getting it done early will always allow time for the cocktail hour!

Last edited:
Thanks John but, I’m not a crutch person and I have found that moisture, aside from the normal condensation in the foil tends to soften the bark more than I like. Now, for a first cook, my opinion (and that’s all it is) is to go dry, don’t wrap and, MOST OF ALL, DO NOT PEEK!
Good to hear you’re starting earlier, that will give you a little time to relax, I hope.
Remember good barbecue will not be rushed. And getting it done early will always allow time for the cocktail hour!
I've always been pretty fortunate with the MES and pellet grill and luckily never had one go for more than about 1.5hrs per lb. But this is the first go at charcoal so it has me a little nervous lol

Absolutely right Bob! Fill that thing to frightening heights! If it’s really full and things are done with charcoal left, shut it down and let them smother out until tomorrow then, sift through (or shake the basket if you have wired them together) and use them in a kettle.
There is no downside to having more available fire than you need at any given moment, good call Bob.

Well the weather wasn't cooperating. It was super windy and they are calling for 20mph winds all day. I thought I had I had good wind break but that's not that case. So I put the butts on the pellet smoker instead. I'm smoking 6 slabs of ribs tomorrow so hopefully I'll get to use it then. If not it'll be the pellet grill and the 26" kettle with the SNS

Back