First Smoke... Hope it goes well!

David Trevett

TVWBB Fan
After all the research on this website, I got up enough courage to do my first smoke. I was going to do baby back ribs, but my wife threw me a curveball and came back with a whole pork spare ribs. Back to the website to learn how to prepare the ribs. Thanks Chris for all the info! I prepared the ribs (or slaughter them), but have never the less there in the smoker. It took an hour for the temps to get to 200, and rising. About 225, I started to close the air vents because I read some people's first cooks there temps were getting too hot. Big Mistake! Air Vents work good. Hopefully, I won't run out of fuel. :D

... Hopefully, I won't run out of fuel. :D
Hi David,

Hopefully you're not fighting the wind like we are. Wishing You the Very Best on your First Smoke !
Sand, Water and BBQ.... doesn't get any better !

btw, Will you be going to the Ribs, Pigs and Watermelon event in August ?
It's going to be in the first lot as you turn in from Beach on the State side.

Bob

Hi David,

Wishing You the Very Best on your First Smoke !
Sand, Water and BBQ.... doesn't get any better !

Bob

Thanks Bob! Wind isn't too bad over here yet. Just sitting here watching the wife and kids enjoy the pool. I haven't made into the water because I'm can't stop looking at the temp of the smoker. Yes, we will make it out to the comp in HB. Looking forward to learning some tips from everyone and meeting some people from the site. Dave

First rack was a little dry and tough. Second rack the wifey said were much better. I did my version of the 3-2-1 method, and one of the racks the foil had holes in it. I don't if that is the reason for one rack being try and tough. I also used too much rub (or it was too salty). Overall, the family was happy. We are on the southwest side of h.b.

Dry and tough means they were underdone. The holes in the foil could be partially to blame since you wouldn't get the steaming effect.

Dry and tough means they were underdone. The holes in the foil could be partially to blame since you wouldn't get the steaming effect.

Thanks for the info Bob. The second rack was on about 40 minutes longer, but I don't know which rack had the hole in the foil. Hopefully next time I'll be more successful!

Have to start somewhere right? My first few cook I didn't take pics just in case they turned out horrible. I am sort of new too but welcome!

. I also used too much rub (or it was too salty). yeah , less is more in the rub dept. Overall, the family was happy.that's what counts , brother !

dave , I read all this , and it sounds so much like what I went thru when I first started using my WSM ( assuming yours is wsm as well) anyway , after a while I was able to relax on the watching and trust the cooker to do its thing. it doesn't hurt to check now n then , but you can do other things while you cook. (like have a drink or a swim...or both) anyway , welcome and good luck and have fun.....and take pictures ! ;)

dave , I read all this , and it sounds so much like what I went thru when I first started using my WSM ( assuming yours is wsm as well) anyway , after a while I was able to relax on the watching and trust the cooker to do its thing. it doesn't hurt to check now n then , but you can do other things while you cook. (like have a drink or a swim...or both) anyway , welcome and good luck and have fun.....and take pictures ! ;)

Listen to the man. Very good advice. Good luck David.

Back