First 'Real' Cook on the Sear+

JimK

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I did a quick cook the other night, but don't really count that. Last night was the first 'real' cook on the new toy. Tri tip was rubbed in a combo of Kinder's "The Blend" and their woodfired garlic seasonings. I let it sit out for about an hour after seasoning. Put the tri tip on the Smokefire at 225F and let it run. After about 45 minutes, I was running out of time, so pushed it up to 250 and threw some fresh corn on. After another 15 minutes, I took the tri tip off and cranked the grill up to 600F. From there, a quick sear to finish. Corn was basted in melted butter that had some of the previously mentioned Kinder's wood fired garlic seasoning. Also had some oven roasted broccoli. Of course, chimichurri came along for the ride. This was a great cook - I'm super pleased with this purchase so far. I used both the Weber probe and my Meater, just to see how consistent temps were. Internal temp varied between the two by no more than 5 degrees. Ambient temps varied by between 5 and 20 degrees. I suspect that's a difference in that the Meater measures current temp and it seems like the Smokefire uses an average. Either way, no worries for me as both seemed pretty accurate.

tempImageb1eiAF.jpg

tempImagehS5kMF.jpg

tempImagelOI7mr.jpg

tempImage9HO0FK.jpg

tempImageUOVJLL.jpg

tempImageD7AN5d.jpg

That's a tasty looking meal! Looking forward to see more of your cooks on the SF. I'm a fan of Kinder's rubs, and sauces too.

Great looking cook on the new grill! I am glad you are liking it. I just read an article about grilled broccoli, not a veggie I have grilled, roasted, but not grill, I want to change that.

Great looking cook on the new grill! I am glad you are liking it. I just read an article about grilled broccoli, not a veggie I have grilled, roasted, but not grill, I want to change that.

Thanks. This broccoli was done in the oven. Now that I think about it, I've done broccolini on the grill, but never broccoli.

Congrats on the first cook Jim, looks amazing, perfectly cooked. Does that CI grate come stock with your SF, or is that extra or additional? It's awesome

Congrats on the first cook Jim, looks amazing, perfectly cooked. Does that CI grate come stock with your SF, or is that extra or additional? It's awesome

Thanks. The CI is standard issue on the Sear+.

Suggestion for those new or experimenting with tri tip.

The specialness of a traditional Santa Maria tri tip IS the outside sear, to a very dark crust, and serving the middle as pink.

The crust, a nice combo SPG and more (see recipe) flavors the meat that’s pink when eating TT.

Sure, you can cook TT as a roast, but the flavors really expand when cooked over direct heat with flipping and flipping to develop the crust.

Sometimes, people will pre cut a tri tip into steaks, and apply a nice dose of spices for a crusty outside, this way to get a lot of the bark and still keep the beef flavor.

TT is a roast that eats like a steak.

I understand that to each their own. But if you’re up to it, try building that crust layer, and the beef will get smoked naturally from the high heat cook.

Enjoy!

If I wasn’t halfway into a dbl “Peruvian chicken“ cook, I’d shift gears and do one or two of those!
Jim, your feasts always make me wish I lived closer!

Back