Mark Barton

TVWBB Super Fan
Last week I spent time seasoning my WSM 18.5. I cooked bacon, ground pork, and a huge fattie of Jimmy Dean sausage.

This week I officially started with real BBQ! I followed the recipe for Basic Chicken listed on the Virtual Weber Bullet - http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/chicken6.html

Chicken is up to temp! These were huge chickens, so I used both racks.
image.jpg1_zpscox6rgs6.jpg

Crisping the skin.
image.jpg2_zpsmmjalo6r.jpg

Ready to eat! The chicken tasted great, but the skin was tough and leathery. I think it's because the WSM was running cool (270), even though all the vents were open. Not sure what happened. Any thoughts or advice?
image.jpg3_zpssf9uhnxg.jpg

Thanks!

It's not easy to get crispy skin smoking. You can get bite through. You might want to try the high direct heat method. If I smoke chicken indirectly I'm most of the time planning on pulling it.

Geat looking chicken Mark. You need HH to get crispy skin. When I do chicken I cook at 325-350 then when it is at temp i have the chicken skin side down and remove the access door from the smoker and crack the lid. That drives the heat way up. I leave it on there like that for 10-15 minutes.

Your chicken looks great, I struggle with getting crispy skin chicken in my WSM, the only time I did get crispy skin was a direct heat cook but I put olive oil on the chicken just before cooking it (olive oil on top of the rub that had been on for a few hours)

Back