First post, my unexpected scores!!!

That rotisserie is better than the basket style one in my opinion. I have both, and the spit is SO much easier to clean than the basket.

Wow, you just scored twice! You should use your third time charm on a powerball ticket!

Thyde, I have both as well and I agree that the basket is harder to clean. However, It is a perfect solution for some cooks and the way I see it. The roto isn't dirty, it is "seasoned". Think about it. The cooking grates are not nice and silver shiny any more, are they?

I agree Bruce completely. I just think that whenever possible, like with a roast or a chicken, the spit is easier than the basket to clean. Just truss!

Spray the basket (or the spit rod) with some Pam before using. I like the basket for chicken because you don't have to worry about trussing if you get it in there tightly.

The rotisserie was probably NIB due to it not fitting the Silver A as the grooves in the rod are too far apart.

Nice score all around though. That Summit, WOW !!!

The 9810 must be an older model... My 9890 has a wooden handle and the 2 grooves to fit on both a silver a and silver b/c

Still well worth what he paid, though.

Last edited:
JKim, I noticed that as well on the handle, but I thought maybe it just hadn't been put together yet. But you are also right about the double slots on the other end. I see the sticker says 9810 on the box and is for the Genesis 1-5, but a google search doesn't come up with much. The Roto otherwise does look identical to the 9890.

I literally just spun a bird tonight, and must say: whatever it takes, get a working rotisserie pronto! They are the best!

I literally just spun a bird tonight, and must say: whatever it takes, get a working rotisserie pronto! They are the best!

I am looking forward to finding out myself! I mentioned that I did a big swap with a guy named Charlie from the Weber Kettle Club. He was really happy to get the antique Woodard cart that I picked up on OfferUp for free. I was glad to see it go to someone who was willing to invest the $ to restore it properly. I also bought a sharp red kettle with metal bowl handles from him. In return, he gave me a huge trove of gas grill parts including an unused classic Genesis rotisserie. It is earmarked for the Skyline grill that I am FINALLY going to get back on and FINISH.

Can't wait to try rotisserie chicken. I am hoping I can outdo our local Publix grocery store. Don't laugh, their rotisserie chicken is pretty good:rolleyes:!

+1 for the roti being the feather in THIS cap! HFS you just don't find the whole kits anymore, nevermind new-in-box!

Good on you, man!

+1 for the roti being the feather in THIS cap! HFS you just don't find the whole kits anymore, nevermind new-in-box!

Good on you, man!

Thanks, Xavier! Charlie from the WKC was really friendly and helpful. I think we both came away really happy. The vintage cart is something he really wanted for his collection whereas the vintage rotisserie for a gas grill was no longer of interest to him. Plus, he gave me a good sized box full of wood slats for the Genesis, new OEM burners tubes (Genesis) and flavorizer bars (Spirit) all of which I can use in my gas grill restores. PLUS, he even threw in a new Weber kettle grill cover (already on the red kettle he sold me) and a Weber wood side table for the kettle.

Here is the vintage red kettle he sold me. I love the old-fashioned metal handles. It has such a beautiful deep red color compared to the "Ltd edition" ones that came out recently:

11trc5f.jpg

I can't wait to try my rotisserie, but I need to get my Skyline BUILT first!

Jon

Last edited:
Shaun that might not be rust. Try scrubbing with a heavy steel wool and see what comes off. It might just be what Bruce calls "seasoning" ... The spit and forks are stainless I believe so it shouldn't be rust.

Those forks look like the ones for the old genesis 1000 roto. I don't think rust either. Should be stainless.

The amazon link above states the shaft is SS as well but I thought they were plated. guess I will just order it and find out!

thanks for link.

so since the old are plated, based on my photos, should i scrap them or will they clean up?

only concerned with the shaft. will get new forks

Back