First overnight cook- 4 butts

ChaseW

TVWBB Member
I've cooked 4 times during the day on my new WSM so I figured I would take a crack at an overnight cook. I'm cooking 4 butts for a work party tomorrow night. Each one weighs between 6 and 8 pounds. I put them on at 8:30. Still running a little hotter than I want with the new smoker. I started with a full ring and 20 lit coals. I have 2 bottom vents pretty much closed and one at 25% and I'm sitting between 260 and 270. Would love to get that down but I'm not going to worry too much about it. Here are a few starting pics. I will update in the AM. Going to attempt to get a few hours of sleep. I'm using Chris Lilly's injection and rub. I used it on my last butts and really like it.
2155C80B-EADB-42C6-ACDE-9D21748BAFAB_zpsp9dqoequ.jpg

6B7ED160-F5CA-4EBB-8CC7-30CC01D5AFAC_zps32ubivv7.jpg

D5072846-8420-4E64-88FE-1C4D65AD2B39_zpsholnbubk.jpg

E188BFFC-B389-4AD9-8234-DDF9077AC8D5_zps8lfinqdg.jpg

Here is a pic of the lamp mod I did last night as well to run my wires.
DEFD60DF-8511-431E-9CB5-1AD4987947A3_zpsnnjfe440.jpg

CoolBeans Chase!
I'd add more wood, butt that's just me.
By the way, what type wood you using??

I'm using Pecan. I've used apple for all my cooks but wanted to try pecan tonight. I threw in some extra about 30 minutes ago to keep smoke going.

First thing I thought of too was to add a little more wood.

Using the Lilly injection and rub, get ready to start making this more often for the folks at work. Since starting my new job about 9 months ago, I usually get conned into making pulled pork for all the techs about once or twice a month. Nachos, tacos, sandwiches...they want me to make it quite often!

I still remember how impressed we were the first time we smoked the Chris Lilly recipe pork butts. Done it many times since. Always a crowd pleaser.

Yep Chase you can't go wrong with the Lilly injection and rub. His peach pork is one that my co-workers
request the most. Those will come out great!

We'll I was able to get 7 hours of solid sleep. My maverick alarm didn't go off once. I woke up to wsm sitting at 230 (went to sleep with it around 270) and the smallest butt at 180 (smallest butt is only 4-5 pounds). About to go add some more coals because my temp just went down to 220. Very impressed with the wsm ability to hold temp overnight.

Here is an updated pic of the 4 butts at 11 hours in. The smallest but is 190ish in some spots but 182-185 in others. Feels very tender based on probing but I"m going to let it ride for a little while longer. Other, larger butts are still in the 160's 170's. I'm going to throw some chickens on in an hour or two to have pulled pork and chicken. I added 25-30 unlit coals which got my maverick temp up to 280 but dome temp is around 250 so I'm good with that range with a new, not so sealed WSM.
2EF3BFF0-0D71-40CD-83FD-C689D7C4D490_zpskulvcepn.jpg

Looks like you are doing great on this smoke. I've only got a few more smokes on my WSM than you and also haven't done an overnighter yet. You are giving me inspiration.

Three of the 4 butts are off at 13.5 hours in. I took them off about 15-20 minutes apart. I pulled one already to send to my in-laws and the other two are in foil in cooler with towels resting for a couple of hours. I threw a couple of chickens on to cook for a few hours. I snuck a few pieces of the one I pulled and it was some good stuff.
0DC5AB7A-D69E-4387-A7B9-DFFA32B25787_zpspjr1aryo.jpg

Last edited:
I could stare at Q' all day long! Isn't the first overnight cook great? When you realize that sleep is truly possible! I love porkies for that reason. Good job

good work - doing butts over night is great - nothing to worry to about if you're asleep - I like the encore chickens - nice touch!

Question: how long can I leave the butts in towels in a cooler before pulling? They have been in there for 1.5-2 hours and I was trying to wait as long as possible so I didn't have to refrigerate too long then reheat. They are still very hot but I don't want to make pulling them hard later or risk getting anyone sick. Thoughts?

I like to pull/shred at around 165F. Warm enough to still fall apart without being to hot. I like to use just disposable gloves when I process so I can feel the product. That way nobody gets an unsavory bite. Works for me

Back