First No-Water WSM Smoke

Vaughan

TVWBB Member
I did my first no-water WSM smoke today. A couple of chickens, minion method, Kingsford Blue, hickory and mesquite. Chickens came out nice.

Seems the temp came up a little faster; pegged it at ~240 degrees. Sure is easier to clean-up. The jury is still out. I like using water. However, I plan on doing additional no-water smokes. Want to try a pork butt.

I agree with like using water...I'm too used to having it. I did smoke a pork butt with the water 1/2 full and just let it steam off to the end. It allowed some moisture in at first and then outside to get a crispy bark that folks allows rave about on the butts. I was nervous the whole time though not having my water full.

Using water has to make a positive difference on the moisture of meat. Maybe the question is how much of a difference.

Just think about being in a hot humid environment. Your body sweats but the air is so moist the sweat doesn't evaporate, but in a heat with low humidity it's much more comfortable because your sweat evaporates.

I used to be use water, I have switched and have not looked back. I get the same results at 275 as I do at 225. Its quicker, for me at least.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Alan F:
Using water has to make a positive difference on the moisture of meat. Maybe the question is how much of a difference. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, but there are trade-offs. For instance, split chicken and pieces are drier on the bone side when I don't use water, but the skin turns out better at higher temps. Even if it isn't crispy, it's better than rubbery, which is what I get if it's cool/breezy and I have twenty pounds of leg quarters on.... but can't get the temp over 250* because I have water in the pan. (Hopefully, my new windbreak barrel will help!).

As for bbq cuts, if your method is foiling after smoking, water in the pan slows down bark formation, so that's something to consider. Of course, with water in the pan, my cooker is pretty stubborn. Let's just say it likes 250 better than 275*, and that means I gotta cook overnight which is something I often would rather not bother with. I can get up real early and cook butts or brisket at around 275* all day for supper, but that's almost impossible on my cooker with water in the pan.

I get moist & juicy butts after 17 hrs cook time with couple foiled wrapped fire bricks in a empty foil lined water pan. Clean up is easy peasy.

New here..

No water camp. Used water for over a year. Tried one smoke w/o water and never went back. Some of my best Q has been w/o water. Think of it this way.. lots of guys with stick burners have never used water and they do just fine. Having smoked with and without water, I choose the no water route. I have no problem holding temps and the clean-up is so easy! I did go to a commercial restaurant store and buy some 24" foil, however. Cost me about $75 but I figure it should last a couple years. Can't see any reason to use water. I have a friend with a HUGE stick burner. Don't think he's ever once considered putting a water pan in his smoker and he turns out some great Q (with my rub recipes, BTW) Just my $.02

-Chris

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Alan F:
Using water has to make a positive difference on the moisture of meat. Maybe the question is how much of a difference.

Just think about being in a hot humid environment. Your body sweats but the air is so moist the sweat doesn't evaporate, but in a heat with low humidity it's much more comfortable because your sweat evaporates. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This isn't really a good comparison. Moisture content of air is a factor in mitigating evaporation, but since your cooker's environment (presumably) has a temperature greater than the boiling point of water, it's not evaporation that is occurring on the surface of the food you're cooking.

I lean towards the no water camp as I get more experience and more confident in my ability to control temperature. The choice is up to each of us and both methods produce great Q and that's what we're looking for.

Agree with Lew, it's for sure a personal thing.
I went to the no water thing just bc of the clean up (hated cleaning up any drippings that scorched onto the water pan once it was fully evaporated). Haven't even thought of going back since. Also, I tend to do the higher end of low/slow, 250 brisket/butts 250-275 ribs, so that means w/o water it's a bit easier to get to temp w/o using too much fuel.

Back