First long cook with lump completed.......

Jim_W

TVWBB Super Fan
I tried using Royal Oak lump for a butt cook last night for the first time.

I don't know if I just got lucky or what, but I had no problems at all! Lit using MM with about 15 briquettes on a full ring of unlit R.O. lump.

Top vent fully open, bottom three closed to about one third. Full brinkman water pan.

Ten hours later and dome temp was still 240 degrees. I was really suprised!

I WILL try it again to be sure it wasn't a freak accident!

Jim

Haven't tried the Royal Oak lump yet, but sounds like you got a good burn. How does it compare to your usual butt cook, what fuel do you usually use? Thanks

Jim, I don't know if the 10 hr time is really that far of a stretch for lump. In the past, I believe it had trouble reaching in to the 18-22 hr time frame.

I can get 18-22hr burn times from a full load of Kingsford and have heard of others getting the same results...but not so from the lump users.

Did you get it to stretch out longer than 10hrs or is that when you added more fuel? 10hrs seems a little short for a pork butt to finish in?!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cd:
Haven't tried the Royal Oak lump yet, but sounds like you got a good burn. How does it compare to your usual butt cook, what fuel do you usually use? Thanks <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Normally use Kingsford. Been having ash problems with it though. Looking for an alternative fuel.

Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doug D:
Jim, I'm guessing it was dead calm, no wind there last night. Am I correct? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes you are correct Doug. No wind at all.

Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Greg Rempe:
Jim, I don't know if the 10 hr time is really that far of a stretch for lump. In the past, I believe it had trouble reaching in to the 18-22 hr time frame.

I can get 18-22hr burn times from a full load of Kingsford and have heard of others getting the same results...but not so from the lump users.

Did you get it to stretch out longer than 10hrs or is that when you added more fuel? 10hrs seems a little short for a pork butt to finish in?! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually the cook lasted for a little more than 12 hours total. I never added fuel. I put the butt(small, about a 5 lb'er) on around 7 pm. At 7 am next morning I wrapped in foil and left for work. My wife removed it from WSM about 9 am.

Jim

Not to bad Jim...I would be interested to see how it would have fared with a couple bigger butts, maybe that's on your list to do sometime?

Was there considerably less ash with lump than Kingsford? That is the only thing I don't like with Kingsford...but the WSM does have a big as bin so it's not that big of a concern! Thanks for the info!

There was less ash with lump than with Kingsford. I'm sure I'll continue to use Kingsford, but I would like to try some extruded lump from Kamado. Also would like to try "Wicked Good Charcoal" lump.

The cost is a big factor for me! Thats why I'll probably stick with Kingsford for my long cooks.

Lump is a good candidate for ribs, chicken, turkey ect...short duration cooks.

Jim

Agreed...I wouldn't spend the big $$$ on something I might have to use way more of to get a long cook...not fiscal sense!!

Thanks for the info!

I like the predictability and consistency of Kinsford and of course, it's availability and price. I've seen so much written here about the advantages of lump for direct, high heat searing of steaks, etc, that I've tried a couple of bags of Royal Oak. I think I'll stick with my Genesis Silver B with PCI grates for steaks and burgers. I like the results and I have confidence I can repeat them with each cook. But, I'll probably keep a bag of Royal Oak around - something about "sipping" on a Bud Light around a pit filled with lump is appealing.
icon_smile.gif

Paul

At a competition a couple of weeks ago, the team set up next to me was using lump in a WSM. Although they made valid point about more natural, less ash, etc., their high temp alarm must have gone off four or five times between 1:00 am and 6:00 am while my butt cruised through dead-on at 225 using briquettes.

I especially get a kick out of it when people see me unloading the briquettes and I get a comment along the lines of "You'll never win using those...."

I got a case of Wicked Good Lump a few months ago. I had no problems maintaining temps for a 22 hour cook, I even had unburned lumps at the bottom of my ring the next day when I cleaned my WSM. Less ash problems too. For most cooks though, I still use Kingsford due to price. I wouldn't mind trying the Kamado(sp?) too, but definately don't want to order a pallet, or even a half pallet. The Wicked Good can be ordered online, I think I got 5 bags...

I got it from http://www.wickedgoodcharcoal.com

It was several months ago, I'm not sure on the exact price, but I think it worked out to be around $60 including shipping for 5 bags. So, I think it was $35 for the 5 bags (11# each) plus $25 shipping. Like I said, pretty pricey for almost all cooks, but good for those long "super-butt" cooks. I bought it after reading the reviews on nakedwhiz and not being able to order Kamado.

Wicked Good is very good lump. used it 2 years ago excellent burn time. They had a family emergency eariler this year that put them 2 months behind. They just started taking orders again in july. I'm doing a 18 lb chuck roll this weekend and picked up some Roal Oak Lump. Figuring on about a 20-22 hr cook. Will post results. Time to get the GURu out of the box.
icon_biggrin.gif

Bryan

Bryan, have you seen the review on that Wicked Good...they ran it forever on a single load---I think they were predicting well in to the mid-high 30hr run time on a single load. WOW, that is very impressive and there is very little ash left...however, to much for me...cheepeee is meeee(on fuel that is)!!

I found a local source for another lump charcoal I want to try. Supposed to have a higher density than Royal Oak.

Don Miller mentioned it on Aug 4 in the grilling forum. It is called "The Original Charcoal Company" lump charcoal.

Turns out a local "Freds" discount store has it. It's 4.99 for 10-lbs. Not a super good deal, but tolerable.

I'm going to pick up a few bags this weekend. Maybe give it a try next week. I'll post results.

Jim

Back