First long cook with lump completed.......

I got in on a group buy of the komando extruded. This is the first lump I have tried. I have to say if all lump is like this I need to try others.

I am already wishing I bought more komando. I have done 1 cook using it. I used exactly half the box. It filled the charcoal ring roughly 75%. I used 18 kingsford to light it by the minion method. I stayed up an extra hour to make sure the temps were stable. I just wasn't too sure. I had the vents set at 45 minutes in and stayed there for 15 hours. Very nice on the long cooks.

Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with kingsford. My biggest complaint is in 8-10 houes there is so much ash it starts choking the fire. I haven't had much luck with tapping the ring, I usually resort to a poking of the coals.

I look at it like this. The cost per box of comando wasn't too much more than kingsford 2 pack at sams. A box of komando will do 2 long butt/brisket cooks. The 2 bags of kingsford will do 2 long burns and maybe ribs.

It's all in what you want. I really like not having the ash problems and am willing to pay a little more for the convenience.

Well, my ratio is:
0% lump
100% Kingsford briqs

Heh, my ratio is exactly opposite.I started out with Kingsford years ago in my ECB, but once I tried lump, I never went back. Most folks don't taste a difference between Kingsford and lump, but I do. To me, Kingsford imparts a rather unpleasant chemical flavor. But, to each their own. It all comes down to personal preference, and I know many people here swear by the briqs, and if it works for you, more power to you. It's just not for me
icon_smile.gif

Jim

Did a long cook(Overnight) this past weekend using Duraflame charcoal briq. I used the MM to start them and had no problem. They lasted the whole night. The only reason I had to add more lit coal was that one side seemed to burn more than the other. The coals were still hot at the 24 hour mark. The thing that I noticed was the ash.Unlike Kingsford which seems to stay on the grate and choke out your coals this ash had all fallen through and settled in the bottom of the WSM. I got my Duraflame at Kroger for 7.99 a twin 20# pack.

Originally posted by K Kruger:
russell--In my opinion, no.

Bryan--I think you'll really like it. Fortunately, they've started distributing with a company that's set up in Ga and Fla. I'll be able to buy ahead of time then go pick it up by-passing the shipping fees. I'm needing to do so soon; getting low myself.
Kevin, You lucky dog you. The shipping on it was almost as much as the charcoal. I still haven't tried it i fighting an illness that looks like it's going to be an ongoing thing. I picked up 2 nice butts from BJ'S early this past week (18.08 lbs for the 2 pack) but unable to cook them so they'll probably just go in the freezer.
icon_frown.gif

Originally posted by K Kruger:
russell--In my opinion, no.

Bryan--I think you'll really like it. Fortunately, they've started distributing with a company that's set up in Ga and Fla. I'll be able to buy ahead of time then go pick it up by-passing the shipping fees. I'm needing to do so soon; getting low myself.
Kevin, Used it for a Butt cook and i liked it but found it not to burn any longer than Humphrey's does. Since i can get Humphrey's locally here i'll continue to use that. I can get the 40 lb bags of Hump Lump for $18.70 verses WG for $13.25 for a 22 lb bag and shipping. I liked it just not cost effective to use it. Nakedwhiz rated Hump Lump as some of the longest burning lump they have tested and i'll agree with that. I really like the Hump Lump (been using it for over a year now) but anybody that's going to use it a double charcoal grate is a must. The Hump Lump runs on the small side so you'll loose alot falling through if not using a double grate. I have used the double grate from day one so no problems for me.
icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Mike Healy:
Cowboy lump 8.8 lbs $5 @ Lowe's
That's about worst Lump charcoal you can use IMO. It's made from lumber scraps. No telling what you'll find in the bag. Insulation and plywood are the 2 things that come to mind. You can read the review here if you wish. Cowboy Lump.

I got a bag of royal oak lump at my gordon food service the other day to use on my tritip. I used a full chimney on the tritip. There was some longer pieces sticking out of the top. I cooked the tritip for around an hour then closed the vents. I filled the chimney last night using only what was left from the tritip cook. I smoked some almonds for 4 hours and there was still fuel left afterwards. I am definately impressed.

I want to try it on a long overnighter and see how it compares to Komando. That stuff sure is sweet on the long cooks.

Back