First long cook with lump completed.......

Jim, came across that charcoal on the net. Almost bought some.(it's the shipping that kills you). Curious how it compares to Royal Oak Lump, Bryan

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bryan S:
Jim, came across that charcoal on the net. Almost bought some.(it's the shipping that kills you). Curious how it compares to Royal Oak Lump, Bryan <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll let you know!

Jim

In my cooks I have found that I like the consistency of Kingsford. Getting a bad bag of lump usually happens at the worst time. I can count on temperature control to remain relatively the same on each cook, can't say that for the lump. Plus, it is available here.

buff

I really like lump .. and yes while the cost is higher per pound lump is so much lighter per pound than kingsford. The lump I purchase is twice the size of a standard 24lb Kingsford bag ( Sams )

Since this is the case the cost isnt so much different.

Originally posted by Kevin O.:
I got a case of Wicked Good Lump a few months ago. I had no problems maintaining temps for a 22 hour cook, I even had unburned lumps at the bottom of my ring the next day when I cleaned my WSM. Less ash problems too. For most cooks though, I still use Kingsford due to price. I wouldn't mind trying the Kamado(sp?) too, but definately don't want to order a pallet, or even a half pallet. The Wicked Good can be ordered online, I think I got 5 bags...

How did you get 22 hours? Add any lump during the cook?

thx

bob

[/QUOTE]

How did you get 22 hours? Add any lump during the cook?

thx

bob[/QUOTE]
I use lump in the WSM and i have the Guru. A full ring of lump and the Guru i can get 21 - 23 hrs on a sigle load 8 - 9 lbs of lump.
icon_smile.gif

Bryan--Thanks for turning me on to Wicked Good's Comp. The stuff is great. Did you ever get any?

Originally posted by K Kruger:
Bryan--Thanks for turning me on to Wicked Good's Comp. The stuff is great. Did you ever get any?
Funny you ask that. I just ordered 3 - 22 lb bags this morning. I had a bunch of the Hump Lump and Royal Oak to use up first so now that my stash is low i fig i would get some.
icon_biggrin.gif

Is there a pronounced taste difference between lump and Kingsford when you cook longer than 12 hrs? Does a pork butt taste any different, even if you plan on using a few wood chunks for flavor/smoke?

russell--In my opinion, no.

Bryan--I think you'll really like it. Fortunately, they've started distributing with a company that's set up in Ga and Fla. I'll be able to buy ahead of time then go pick it up by-passing the shipping fees. I'm needing to do so soon; getting low myself.

Funny you ask that. I just ordered 3 - 22 lb bags this morning. I had a bunch of the Hump Lump and Royal Oak to use up first so now that my stash is low i fig i would get some. Big Grin

Sounds like you are about due to go to Shillington to pick up a few hundred pounds.
Where did you order the wicked good's comp at?

I had a friend give me some to try. I did like it. It was different to work with. Don't need to worry about the temp spikes with the Guru and the vents set right. Maybe I was lucky lol.
I cooked a Picnic with it.
Do you know any of the members of the Pa. Posse team? The one guy lives near Lowes over your way.

Originally posted by Bryan S:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
Funny you ask that. I just ordered 3 - 22 lb bags this morning. I had a bunch of the Hump Lump and Royal Oak to use up first so now that my stash is low i fig i would get some.
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It came today. I'll be using for my brisket cook over the weekend.
icon_biggrin.gif

Does anyone have a ration for lump to briquettes?

Does one full ring of lump cook longer or shorter than one full ring of briquettes?

This past weekend, I mixed lump, kingsford and royal oak and had a very nice cook. I only had a small amount of lump, so I did a mix.

I've only used briquettes prior to this, and never had reason to really change. UNLESS...there is a clearly better way. IS THERE?

Art--

It depends on the lump but still is a matter of personal preference. Some lumps are fairly light and burn up quickly, some come with lots of dust, fines, and near-unusable tiny pieces in the bag, and some produce nearly as much ash as Kingsford. Others of better quality burn longer, hotter, have little unusable stuff in the bag, and produce low ash. This link gets you to Naked Whiz's review of lumps if you're interested.

I really like good lump. Do a couple cooks with lump only and see what you think.

Originally posted by Art R:
1)Does anyone have a ration for lump to briquettes?

2)Does one full ring of lump cook longer or shorter than one full ring of briquettes?

This past weekend, I mixed lump, kingsford and royal oak and had a very nice cook. I only had a small amount of lump, so I did a mix.

3)I've only used briquettes prior to this, and never had reason to really change. UNLESS...there is a clearly better way. IS THERE?
1) I use straight lump. Usually i use Kingsford(15-20 briqs) to light the lump when using the MM.
2) A good quality lump like Royal Oak, Humphrey's, B&B, Ozark Oak, and Wicked Good pound for pound will burn longer that Kinsford. I did a 20.5 hr cook last year using RO Lump and the Guru and used 9 lbs 12 ozs of lump for the cook you can read the details if you want here.
3) As Kevin said try it. I've been using lump for over 20 years and love it. Just something about all that blue smoke billowing out of the WSM when using Kinsford that bothers me. But hey it's America and i don't have to like Kingsford if i don't want to.
icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Art R:
Does anyone have a ration for lump to briquettes ?

Well, my ratio is:
0% lump
100% Kingsford briqs

With all due respect to those who feel otherwise, I prefer the price, availabilty and consistency of Kingsford. I've used some RO and my problem has not been the small unusable pieces, but the 4 to 6 inch boards I find in the bag. Maybe for direct grilling ... but I still keep going back to my Silver B with PCI grates. I can consistently produce a great product with it.

Like Bryan said - hey, it's America
icon_smile.gif

Paul

I will have to try the all lump with an upcoming cook. I am intrigued.

I too have reservations about briquettes and the possibility that some toxins are being released. Obviously, I'm not too concerned. I figure that if it were really bad for US, then some enterprising class action lawyer would have brought a suit by now.

Back