First even kettle pizza night

Michael Richards

TVWBB Emerald Member
I was able to join the kettle pizza train today! I got my pizza stone and pizza peel last weekend and after a lot of research and guidance from this site I went for it tonight. After I finished teleworking today at 3 I made the dough using Barb and Rick's recipe, I just doubled it. 20200616_150551.jpgFired up a full Weber Chimney and 2/3 of a Kingsford Chimney using Weber Charcoal and let both those heat up. Poured both in the Weber kettle, put the grate on, then the WSM 14 charcoal ring, then put on pizza stone on that. Started building pies. Turned the oven to 170 as Rick instructed after about 40 min the kettle was up over 550.I put the first pie on and I think the kettle was to hot, the first pies bottom crust got too dark and crunchy. I made 5 pies total and the last 3 were much better when the kettle settled in at 450/475 range
Here are the last two waiting to go on.
20200616_172901.jpg
Here are them each done
First attempt... Cheese and some bubbles
20200616_174224.jpg
Number 2 pepperoni 20200616_174349.jpg
Number 3 BBQ chicken, getting better... 20200616_174530.jpg
Number 4 peppers and onions20200616_174702.jpg
Last one Bacon, Sausage, and Chicken
20200616_174843.jpg
Last shot of all 5 pies cut and ready to be served. 20200616_174903.jpg

There is a lot of room for improvement but that was so much fun making, cooking, and eating. Next time, I will use Barb and Rick's dough recipe again, but I will triple it and made three larger pies. Will make sure the temp is settling in the upper 400's and see how that does and keep growing from there.

They look great, and as a fan of bubbled crust I really like the first one! Pizza just seems better when it has some irregularities.

Looks tasty! A tip I was taught from a friend that does wood fired pizza's at events is to top the dough with cheese, then sauce, then topping (keep them light) then more cheese. By cheesing the dough first it helps keep the sauce from sogging out the dough. Light toppings is best for higher temp cooks. Allows the cheese and sauce to get done before the crust burns.

Pizzas look good. Not familiar with the dough recipe but some flours hold up to higher heat better. I always use Caputo OO blue bag and no issues even at 700 range.

You did fine for the first time. Something you should know is that pizza dough isn't for blast furnace temperatures as you found out it will burn. The dough works best at about 425 - 450. Some of the KP owners on here have dough recipes for much higher temps if that's what you want to do.
I'm sure if you ask they will be glad to share.

You did fine for the first time. Something you should know is that pizza dough isn't for blast furnace temperatures as you found out it will burn. The dough works best at about 425 - 450. Some of the KP owners on here have dough recipes for much higher temps if that's what you want to do.
I'm sure if you ask they will be glad to share.
Whats a KP?

Whats a KP?
KettlePizza-Weber-Grill-Insert-Review.jpg

Those pies look delicious Michael. Nice looking cook. You'll see steady progress from this point forward. Your enthusiasm guarantees it!

Great job! As others have mentioned (and I'm learning), some flours are better than others at certain temps. I'm experimenting with some of that lately - using different flours and even combinations of flours. That's half the fun!

If you're interested, here's a sauce recipe I've been using lately. For my taste, I add back just a little of the drained liquid - your mileage may vary.

And another dough and sauce recipe that I like:

Great job! As others have mentioned (and I'm learning), some flours are better than others at certain temps. I'm experimenting with some of that lately - using different flours and even combinations of flours. That's half the fun!

If you're interested, here's a sauce recipe I've been using lately. For my taste, I add back just a little of the drained liquid - your mileage may vary.

And another dough and sauce recipe that I like:

Man Jim it was like you knew what I needed next, my wife said the crust is good, but you need a better sauce... And then you send me one, I am telling you, you guys are the best!

Man Jim it was like you knew what I needed next, my wife said the crust is good, but you need a better sauce... And then you send me one, I am telling you, you guys are the best!

I've used Rita's sauce and dough recipe for years, but am just now starting to branch out. They are both great though. One thing I've learned over the years for both pizza sauce and tomato sauce for pasta is that the San Marzano tomatoes are worth every penny of extra expense.

Back