First Cook Thread Here - Jerk Side Ribs On The Kettle

M Hoss

TVWBB Member
Waiting impatiently for my 22.5 WSM and gotta cook something. It is -16c or 3f right now but I care not.

Side ribs with membrane removed....I pay 1.99 a pound for whole side ribs....this is a st louis cut and a chine bone cut:

2hn6mw4.jpg

In my rub I am using something I picked up over Xmas:

1zbtq92.jpg

That is wild black pepper from Madagascar. The berries are very small, the smell and taste are like a combination of black, red and green peppercorns with much earthiness and floral qualities too boot. Brother has a restaurant and sources this stuff much cheaper than I ever could. I have tried this rubbed into some strip loin steaks but not pork yet. I ground up the peppercorns, alot of allspice berries and oinion flakes in a tall mortar and pestle then tossed it into a shallow, wide mortar and pestle from Bali. Added to this was garlic powder, clove powder, chipolte powder, smoked paprika, thyme powder, roasted garlic habanero mix, roasted ginger powder and some of that Cool Runnings Jerk Seasoning, (it contains alot of salt so I added no additional salt):

28baaro.jpg

My Jerk rub is usually made from scratch....the Cool Runnings product was on sale and I wanted to give it a try.......it is inferior to my normal method. I used the pestle provided as well as one from a Mexican Molcajete to grind the spices together:

2dmfrkw.jpg

The ribs were coated with a thin layer of light olive oil then sprinkled with my spice mix:

o0qcs7.jpg

I do not normally do this step but I am always screwing with things and have read about doing this....brown sugar on top:

34i0lyh.jpg

The platter is now wrapped in the fridge and will wait at least 2 hours.....or till it "looks" right. I normally am big on lump, rarely using briquets. Getting a WSM soon has led me do alot of reading here and elsewhere. I keep reading how folks use Kingsford Blue or other brands solely in their WSMs so in addition to the RO Blue bag I picked up some fuel today:

2niy2op.jpg

I have used both the Kingsford Blue and the Nature's Grilling Briquests in the past, finding the Nature's Grilling to have a better smell and cleaner smoke when igniting. It is the slow season for charcoal sales up here in the cold white north so selection is limited and cost is high. Had to go to 2 places as the first had no briqutes only lump and the second place had only the one bag of Kingsford Blue and the three bags of Nature's Grilling. I loaded up in case when I go back there is nothing at all.

I will add cook and money shots later.

Edit:

My setup:

2hnw3s9.jpg

The ribs look right after about 2.5 hours:

2i2alw7.jpg

Adding lit charcoal to bring my heat up after about 20 minutes....I have the wood off of the grate near the coals to prevent a flareup...I add it back after a few minutes:

iyjyw0.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing, very informative post, are the natures grilling briquettes a Canadian brand?

It is a Mexican company that puts it out. Nakedwiz has a review of it....I think? it is carried in some States. Up here I can get it at Canadian Tire and Walmart. Most places are sold out and not resupplying till spring. Walmart had a sweet deal on Nature's Grilling this summer...I should have loaded up more than I did.....way more.

I went to edit my initial post but the system would not let me enter more pictures....

Cook temp was 290-310 for most of the cook with me adding lit charcoal to the bed rather than using any sort of minion method. The ribs cooked for about 1.5 to 2 hours before there was a good crust then they got spritzed every 15 minutes or so with a 60/40 combo of water to the beer I was drinking:

16iscpv.jpg

6dqrr4.jpg

It was probably about the 3 hour mark or so, (I was not near a clock) when I pulled the ribs and foiled them. Meat side down with a thin layer of Parkay, some honey and Tiger Sauce....back on the grill for another 40 minutes or so and they were ready to be sauced. My wife informed me that I could bring some food for a family gathering of her folks tommorrow....I learned this just before foiling. What do I do I thought? So I set about turning my rib cook into a pulled pork cook. Instead of foiling the ribs and waiting a little bit I waited too long. With the high temp I was running I kicked it up when the foiled ribs went on with a chunk of hickory on the coals and some RO lump as well. Temp was at 325f for the foiling stage.....I checked em' with a toothpick 3 times and pulled when the meat did. The inner ribs were not quite to pulling stage/fall off the bone but that was fine. Here they are fresh out of the foil....the leading side of the chine bone strip was facing the coals:

2moz48l.jpg

Sauced up with cider vinegar thinned Graces Jerk BBQ Sauce and back on the Kettle for 15-20 minutes or so:

t8owll.jpg

Some bones cut up....lighting sucked so this is a bad shot:

21nk5tf.jpg

Shredded after me eating the middle boned on the rack:

dyactx.jpg

This is out of focues but you can see smoke ring on the bones.....at least that's what I take it to be......sometimes I get this to a greater extent than other times....I like to see it:

qrjivp.jpg

I had some the shredded meat as a snack on a but at 2am....soft spongy bun, meat heated up covered in celophane in the mic, Grace Orange Scotch Bonnet Sauce all over the meat......damn good here is what I says. I have taken the chine bone strip to the shredded stage before....to make removing the bones from the meat easier....makes for some mighty fine pulled pork.

Last edited:
Lot of strong flavors there, the finished product looks superb, well done

Yup. I go a thinner on the rub with this Jerk style than when I do normal southwest style ribs and I never leave the rub on longer than 4 hours. Went overnight with a rub once and only once.

It is a Mexican company that puts it out. Nakedwiz has a review of it....I think? it is carried in some States. Up here I can get it at Canadian Tire and Walmart. Most places are sold out and not resupplying till spring. Walmart had a sweet deal on Nature's Grilling this summer...I should have loaded up more than I did.....way more.

Thank you.

Back