First cook on 22.5 WSM a few issues

Lee Landrum

Got this baby for Father's Day and couldn't be happier. I've cooked my first butt, put it on around 10:30 last night and as of right now haven't had a chance to try it out....it's wrapped and cooling to be shredded shortly. First things first.....this big boy likes to run hot as you all know but I was able to keep it mostly in my happy range with water in the pan.....still torn on this...may try sand or empty out and see how it works. Anyway where I seem to have an issue is when adding fuel or wood I'm ashing my meat if I stir up the coals to get the ash off and the heat back up it happens as well. Do any of you guys out there have some tips or techniques that could help out a newbie in this area? Should I not stir up the coals...just add coals and how do you add coals or wood without sending the ash air born? And if this does happen what is the best way to remove the ash from the meat or do you worry about it? I used regular Kingsford briquets.

P.S. I'm stoked to see how this first cook turns out....it was falling apart when I took it off

Anyway where I seem to have an issue is when adding fuel or wood I'm ashing my meat if I stir up the coals to get the ash off and the heat back up it happens as well. Do any of you guys out there have some tips or techniques that could help out a newbie in this area? Should I not stir up the coals...just add coals and how do you add coals or wood without sending the ash air born? And if this does happen what is the best way to remove the ash from the meat or do you worry about it? I used regular Kingsford briquets.
Practice makes perfect when it comes to how much charcoal you should start with. That's the key to not kicking up ashes, is not having to add. As far as what you put in your defuser (if anything) that's just something you develope over time. I went a year with water, and then I put a clay saucer in, and I'll never go back to water.

Congrats on your Dad's Day gift! If your first cook was falling apart, it sounds like you nailed it! Enjoy

I' don't run water and can usually finish a long cook by starting with a full ring and the minion method . Read here. http://virtualweberbullet.com/fireup2.html#minion

Water will eat into you coal usage so you may have to. You also have to be cautious about adding unlit to lit because it will put off a lot of nasty tasty smoke. Some alternatives are: try to fill the ring to get you through the cook or Use lump that doesn't produce much ash and you can safely add more unlit without bad smoke

Welcome to the forum Lee. I have had an issue with getting ash on my food.

I posted about it one time and the most general consensus was to close the top vent when stirring the ash or adding wood. This stops the "draw" up through the top vent. Just close it long enough to add and let the ash settle, then open it up to where you had it (don't forget this step)

One time I was cooking several butts for a party and had this happen. The butts got coated with ash. I took some apple juice and put it in a spray bottle, and spray the butts off, thus "rinsing" the ash off. The butts were far enough into the cook so as not to wash any rub off. They came out fine after that.

Now I am more careful, but as mentioned above, you will get it down where you don't have to add any coal. I prefer the clay saucer to water also

You said it was your 1st cook, be a little patient and give it time to gunk up a little. In my opinion if you try going dry or with sand you'll probably have more trouble with temp control. When I first got mine I actually wished I would have kept my old CharGriller but that passed quickly once the WSM got broke in.

Back